Old Age (Senility?) Did it to Me Again!

grnspot110

Tractorologist
Well, I did it again, I brought another one home, a 1948 Allis Chalmers "G": Tractors 2019 011.JPG

It was listed on CL for about a month before I checked on it, called about it, then had my brother who lives nearby, look at it for me. It had been a granddad/grandson project that had set in a storage unit for "a couple of years". I took a good battery & fresh gas with me, but when I saw the fender had to be taken off to put the battery in I just went ahead & bought it. Brought it home, replaced the battery & old gas & it started right up!

Tractors 2019 013.JPG

I've since built a step/platform to make getting on/off easier, repainted the seat & spring, moved the seat up & back to give me more room. Repainted the wheels, went ahead with the newer "Persian Orange" since I didn't want to repaint the whole tractor and added an ammo box for some tools.

Tractors 2019 026.JPG

Tractors 2019 025.JPG

Tractors 2019 024.JPG

Since I like the smaller, more unusual tractors, the "G" fits right in: Tractors 2019 021.JPG

Boy I’d love to have one of those. When I was young, a while ago, the nursery by my parents place had those tractors for their field work. I don’t know what I’d do with it either with out some attachments. But I would have it out on display. I’m about 1000’ feet away from the old nursery. Sadly the nursery closed in 1996. It is now owned by the town of Stratford. It’s a parks and recreation spot now. They hold different fuctions there. And have community gardens.
The land for the nursery was bought from my grandfather in the early fifties. 10 acres for $5000.00. Hehe. Today, that land is worth $5000.00 for a round pointed shovel full.
They also used David bradly two wheel tractors at the nursery too.

Noel

There are currently three companies that I know of (if all are still in business) that make new tractors based on the Allis "G"; Tilmore, Tuff-Bilt & Oggun.

That is one very nice G, glad to see you painted the wheels and seat spring too.
Hope you find some attachments for it in the future.

When I was a tyke the fellow next door to my folks had one while my dad Had a Massey Harris Pony. they both had the 62 cube Continental engine.
I can remember dad and that fellow talking, Next door fellow: to bad you can not see the plants as you cultvate them.
Dad: to bad you can't really drive a tractor by looking down the hood to culivate the crop.
I bought a Pony to fix up and give to my dad in 1996, He went out and bought one of his own before I finished the one up I had bought to give him.
He got a sickle bar mower for his instead for his 82nd birthday.

:D. Al

The farm I worked on as a kid used a pair of Gs with basket weeders. Neat tractors.

If I ever run across one with a turning plow at a decent price I'm liable to grab it.

I had looked at one the day I called on this one that had the hydraulic lift, plow & front part of the cultivator. The seller wanted way more than I paid for this one & it was all original, except for all the leaks that needed fixing. Too much work & money for me!

I'm hoping to find a hand lift for this one & make a belly blade for it.

Serial number on this one is 0136, according to the information I've found the serial numbers started at #6!

Looks great. Your getting a nice collection of small tractors. Nice thing with them is your storage building doesn't need to be so big.

This might be of help to date the G as a 1948.
G serial numbers.
1948: 6
1949: 10961
1950: 23180
1951: 24006
1952: 25269
1953: 26497
1954: 28036
1955: 29036
Final: 29976

By the way they were built in Gadsden Alabma. 29,976 built total.
Cost 970.00 new in 1955.

:D Al

Nice tractor and nice line up.

How does the mower, sickle bar etc run off the motor? I looked at some pics, but none definitive showing how they hook up.

Mine doesn't have the lift system on it (wish it did), attachments mount under the center of the tractor. There is a "V" belt pulley by the rear axle.

Hi grnspot110, nice "G" Allis I like the step also I was considering one a few years ago but never found one close to me at a decent price, remember there was a web site where a fellow was installing diesels in them he was doing a very nice job they look like it came with it

Back