Onan Electric PTO Clutch Bearing Cross

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I needed to find a bearing for the Onan P220G PTO in the JD 316. My bearing is a Nachi 6009 NSL. after doing a search I found this info and thought I would share with you Onan owners out there.
Onan PTO Bearing.jpg

The interchangable bearings that have the extra (2) in them specifies 2 seals (one each side). Hope this helps out.

You don't want the ones with 2 seals, as then engine oil can't get into them. I can't see where 1 seal to the outside world hurt a thing though.
Whenever I get into a situation where I have to deal with bearings I always look for a number on them as no engine or equipment maker actually makes their own but the markup that they apply once they repackage them into "their" bag or box is usually ridiculous.

You don't want the ones with 2 seals, as then engine oil can't get into them. I can't see where 1 seal to the outside world hurt a thing though.
Whenever I get into a situation where I have to deal with bearings I always look for a number on them as no engine or equipment maker actually makes their own but the markup that they apply once they repackage them into "their" bag or box is usually ridiculous.
There is no engine oil getting into these.

EDIT: I changed the thread title to clarify things! I bought a bearing yesterday, $36.

Last edited:
I need to read things better,I missed the part about the thread being about the PTO bearing, thought that you meant PTO side of the engine itself, I have never had an onan apart beyond carb or tune up parts

I need to read things better,I missed the part about the thread being about the PTO bearing, thought that you meant PTO side of the engine itself, I have never had an onan apart beyond carb or tune up parts
My mistake with not making it clear what the thread was about!

Glad it worked out for you. I tried ti replace a bearing in a clutch off a Kohler in a CC. Went by bearing number and NAPA had it in stock. got it home and OD was to big. Back to NAPA to double check bearing #'s, measurements, etc. everything checked that it would fit. Even check a couple other new bearings. All were the same OD and larger than the on I removed. Never did find a bearing with the OD I needed. Replaced the clutch.

I don't understand why the OD was off. I did a bunch of research on this bearing to be sure I had the right one. Even found the sizes of the bearing online.

I think a lot of co's. have bearings special made to their specs so you have to buy it from them at an inflated price. I have the same theory about v-belts.
Mike

Back