Pallet shed

Rustyoldjunk

Rustologist/Punishment Glutton
Has anybody looked into or built a "pallet shed".
I need another shed here at the new place but there's no funds available for a shed anytime soon.
I have access to plenty of pallets.
I'm thinking strongly of building a shed out of mostly pallets.
Seems like it would be a strong shed if built right and could even be insulated.

my friends father built a 20x30 garage out of pallets. Being in unorganized township where no building permit required its allowed.
I'm sure if you did a search online you will find plans.

I built a 16 X 24 open one side several years ago. Holding up very well. Set a 4 X 4 post a8' centers across ends and back. One in the center on the open side. I had several 8' telephone pole cross arms (Fir) and used them across the bottom between the post level around the building. Pallets sit over the cross arms and lap over the post on each end. May have to trim to fit with a chain saw. I let the ends run up till completed, then snapped a chalk line where I wanted the roof angle to be and trimmed with a chain saw. Double 2 X 8 headers across the front, 2 X 6 rafters on 2' ceneter and 2 X 4 nailers for the steel on 2' centers. You want the pallet boards to run vertical on the outside. Take pallets apart and use the boards to cover the cracks in the pallets exposed to the weather. I had a framing nailer so that made fastening the building together a lot faster. Good luck.

Google Pallet Buildings and you will find thousands of different uses for pallets.

Easiest way to insulate a pallet building I think would be to use the 4 X 8 sheets of of the pink foam board. Have plenty to fasten it to. If your thinking of covering the inside with anything, make sure those boards are firmly attached to the pallet frame.

I built a 16 X 24 open one side several years ago. Holding up very well. Set a 4 X 4 post a8' centers across ends and back. One in the center on the open side. I had several 8' telephone pole cross arms (Fir) and used them across the bottom between the post level around the building. Pallets sit over the cross arms and lap over the post on each end. May have to trim to fit with a chain saw. I let the ends run up till completed, then snapped a chalk line where I wanted the roof angle to be and trimmed with a chain saw. Double 2 X 8 headers across the front, 2 X 6 rafters on 2' ceneter and 2 X 4 nailers for the steel on 2' centers. You want the pallet boards to run vertical on the outside. Take pallets apart and use the boards to cover the cracks in the pallets exposed to the weather. I had a framing nailer so that made fastening the building together a lot faster. Good luck.

Google Pallet Buildings and you will find thousands of different uses for pallets.
Got any pictures? Don

my friends father built a 20x30 garage out of pallets. Being in unorganized township where no building permit required its allowed.
I'm sure if you did a search online you will find plans.
I have been looking at plans for a few years a nbn d kicking it around.

After researching and collecting pallets,I think I have figured out the best way for me to build a pallet shed. I'm planning to start on a smaller one this week.
If I like how it works out I may build a bigger building.
I have a constant supple of pallets for as long as I want them so that won't be an issue and I have close to 150 now to work with.

Chieffan I'm going to tin side it.
I'm going to use nails to initially tack it then use bolts to hold it together.
Do you have pictures of the shed that you built ?

Don't think I have any of my building. Might get a couple in the morning when it is froze up a bit. Real muddy down that way now. Why mess with pallets if your going to tin side it ? ?

Don't think I have any of my building. Might get a couple in the morning when it is froze up a bit. Real muddy down that way now. Why mess with pallets if your going to tin side it ? ?
Because its cheap.
The pallets are free.
I have seen some beautiful pallet buildings in my research.
Full floors,windows,siding,and even a deck on the front of one.

Because its cheap.
The pallets are free.
I have seen some beautiful pallet buildings in my research.
Full floors,windows,siding,and even a deck on the front of one.

I agree. What I don't see is building a pallet building, the covering it with steel. Build a pallet building and leave it as a fully enclosed pallet building. Have to set the post etc. anyway so if your using steel then just put the perlings in and attach the steel to them and forget the pallets. Just my opinion.

You don't have to set posts. It can built on the ground on gravel or blocks like a storage building.
The tin I already have too.
The reason I'm building it is to have a sealed up water proof storage.
I don't have money in the budget to buy a big storage building or to even buy the materials so I'm using what I have.
I don't have money in the budget

I set post so mine would be there and not over in the neighbors piled some place after a big wind storm. Had a 58 mph gust 2 days ago. You build your shed the way you want, it is your time and your shed.

I understand.
I have a tent shed that I have had to make withstand high winds.
I found out the hard way not too long after I put it up.
I have it in pretty solid shape now.
We had 40-50mph winds thru the night just a few nights ago and it stayed put as it should.
Its been thru a few wind storms in the last year and has stayed where it should. Just took a little thought.
As heavy as a pallet building is,if the wind is bad enough that it blows it away that might be one of your lesser worries at that moment.

That was my major concern with doing a pallet garage. Anchoring it down but most prefab metal buildings are on a slab bolted down. They dont usually go anywhere.

I've looked at hundreds of garage ideas.

I have a enclosed 20x20 carport that is on gravel that has very little holding it down that was here long before we moved here and hasn't went anywhere thru the years in the wind.
Although some work on it including some anchoring is in the spring plans. I
Have never had any mini barns blow over either in all the years I have used them.
I have a tin 10x12 now that hasn't moved (well I did move it to a different area last spring :)) even in the wind that took out my 12x20 tent building.

Some guys are lucky - some aren't. Raining all day today and didn't freeze last night so not photos. Maybe towards the end of the week ? ?

Back