Picked up a IH 782

Checked the point gap with the feelers gauge and felt good at .020". Put the gas tank in with all new lines, filter, etc. Shot a bit of gas in the cylinders and put the plugs in. Fired right off and ran good. Changed the hydro fluid and filter. Next is to take some of the slop out of the steering, find a better tire to replace the one with a 10" long split that slime is working on but not going to trust it to far. All in all I think it will make a good tractor. One I have wanted for several years. This will be my last tractor revival project. Will leave that for your younger guys.

My body is telling me enough is enough. Knees, shoulders and back have been very argumentative to the getting down and back up, twisting & turning. Had another project on the work table but really should have finished it and cleared the table for this tractor. 20/20 hind sight. About done for now until it gets some fresh red paint. Will hang the deck from the hoist to work on it standing up, or in the back of the Ranger. This one has the 44C deck, but have an extra 50C that will fit right on it if I want to. Plan to mow one time with it yet this fall.

Got into the 782 a little deeper yesterday morning. Jack under the front to get the grease down to the bottom of the spindle. Took grease and showed up on the first stroke of the gun. Front axle is tight. Adjusted the steering free play and got it down to about 1-1/2" wheel movement with no end binding. Very unusual for this old a tractor. Hour meter plastic was badly sun distorted and could not read it but did see the little white hand turning. It is still working so polished the plastic up till it could read the entire dial. Shows about 670hrs. Not much for a 39 yo tractor, less than 17 hr. per year wverage. Little puff of smoke when throttled up but quits instantly so thinking the Kohler is in good shape. Will warm it up good and change the oil in it.

On to the deck. Short project. After soaking and a big hammer got the tensioner to move enough to get the belt off the pulleys, what was left of them. Spindles are free and felt good after greasing so that and gauge wheels is about all that is salvageable. Dropped it off in the scrap pile. Will put the 50" on the tractor. All 3 deck pulleys had sides rusted away. Don't really need it so parts only.

20200829_132340.jpg 20200829_132324.jpg 20200829_132313_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Roger, I hear you about getting down and up again and my back just won't let me bend over and work on things for very long any more but I have at least one more prokect to get going even if I have to sit on a stool at times:)

Got the 50C deck out of hibernation and up to the shop this afternoon. Got the bet cover off, it will go on a nail in the storage area of the machine shed. Belt was shot but pulleys were all good and clean, tensioner was seized. Good old PB Blaster got it loosened up quick. New belt and front anti-scalp wheels & bolts will be here Wednesday. Blades were goot and just needed sharpening. Found no power to the PTO clutch. Think it is in the switch. Works on the safety no start side when off but don't make contact in the ON position. May by-pass that part for now. Ordered new back tires for it today. Will be here tomorrow. (2) 23 X 10.50 - 12 for $80 each. Carlisle turf saver tread, mounted. Local tire & muffler shop.

That was probably an MTD build. I have the yellow version with the Kubota Diesel, 1512 is the model. It also has the 50C deck. Once you get them set right they will do a very nice job of mowing. Lot of times I wish they would lift higher though.

Found out the PTO clutch is bad. Power through the wires but clutch does nothing. Soaking that back collar now. Lot of stuff has to come off the get the clutch off on these. Start with the air cleaner, then the base, top air shroud over the muffler, then the muffler with the exhaust manifold. I think the front engine seal is leaking also. Lot of oily dirt all over the front of the engine. Will see if I can get that out and new one in without tearing the engine half down.

Think I have the clutch issue taken care of. Waiting for the main seal to arrive which should be today. Can start putting it back together than. Tin work is in excellent condition other than sun fading. hand sanded and repainted the two side panels, nose piece and hood yesterday. Will do them fender pan today. Not a show tractor so not a show paint job. I have had good luck with X-O-Rust primer & paint in the rattle cans. Even had a dark red that was a real close match. Photos later.

Spent some time with the granddaughter this morning. She is 10 and helped pick a 5 gal pail full of ewar corn for the squirrel they have in a tree by their house. 2PM the mail arrived and the seal for the Kohler was there.. Got it put in, fit was much tighter than the old on. Put the clutch on, set the gap at .012", tried it and it worked like it is supposed to. Getting to hot to work out there now so quit for the day. Back at it in the morning.

Got it all back together and works good. Put the front screen, headligh6ts, etc. on. Had the tin work painted and ready to go on. Took it out and mowed with it about 1/2 hour with no hick ups. Need to work on the deck lift frame as this on has one ear mission, the part that slips over the cross shaft on the tractor. Couple other minor things while the deck is out from under it. Found a guy that had a 3 D printer hood ornament, as the original was warped way out of shape. Will see how that looks when it gets here. When this rain quits and it warms a bit will finish it up.

20200907_105255.jpg 20200907_105312.jpg 20200907_105337.jpg

That looks good Roger they are nice looking tractors are you going to keep it
Definitely a YES on keeping it. To hard to come by a reasonable price around here. This 782 and my 1512 will be the last two to go, and I will probably go first. Thanks for the compliment. Will get the hubcaps with the IH emblem on them on it yet and the wheels cleaned up. Sticker on the back and the hood piece and it should be done, tractor wise.

The guy I got this from has a equipment dealership, mostly in name. His father had it for many years and he found a bunch of old IH stuff in a back room he hardly went in. His Father bought a ton of stuff when the IH dealer sold out about 20 miles away. Among the goodies was a new set, wrapped in paper, CC IH branded hub caps. He gave them to a buddy of his that had a 682 at the time. Day late and $$ short.

Last edited:
Back