Picked Up a Simplicity 7117

I believe this is one of the best decks I've used, no scalping & not much pile up even though the grass was high.

The only mower decks that would get unsolicited favorable comments from the wife. She would say the yard looks wonderful. I have a newer Simplicity with their fabricated deck. It does a nice job of mowing but not as nice as the decks like yours.

nice score Jim. Can't beat an old Simplicity/AC deck for mowing. I wonder if it has something to do with the left side discharge not to mention the row of rollers across the back.

nice score Jim. Can't beat an old Simplicity/AC deck for mowing. I wonder if it has something to do with the left side discharge not to mention the row of rollers across the back.
I'm not sure either about the left discharge. It's the only left discharge I've owned. I think the continuous rear rollers help. I've been doing some research on the Simplicity. I read where their deck design creates an enormous amount of suction causing the grass to be lifted as its cut.

The only mower decks that would get unsolicited favorable comments from the wife. She would say the yard looks wonderful. I have a newer Simplicity with their fabricated deck. It does a nice job of mowing but not as nice as the decks like yours.
My wife loves this low cut, I don't but ok with it for now. I like it around 3" or more. It helps choking out the weeds especially the clover.

I think, maybe, the air dams around the back of blades might help with air flow and lift the grass up to be cut. The outer shell is fairly deep and each blade rotates in a sort of pocket, plus there is an extra pair of anti scalp rollers underneath the deck that help it follow the lay of land. Been awhile since I mowed with a Simple tractor and I know those decks cant be adjusted as high as the rear steer mowers but I would think if the rear rollers were set all the way down it should be able to cut about 4".

Looking at the height adjusters on your deck, they are angled too much like the bail is a couple inches or so too short. Look like maybe it has a 42" bail on it. Here is a pic of my 912 AC with a 42" deck and notice the difference in the angle of the adjusters. The 912 is the same frame as your 7117.

Attachments

• DSC_0298.JPG
    DSC_0298.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 16
Looking at the height adjusters on your deck, they are angled too much like the bail is a couple inches or so too short. Look like maybe it has a 42" bail on it. Here is a pic of my 912 AC with a 42" deck and notice the difference in the angle of the adjusters. The 912 is the same frame as your 7117.
My adjusters are are on the inside compared to yours being on the outside. I've had these soaking for a few days to adjust them & one broke. I'll see if I can find another pair of the handles & put them on the outside like yours. I'll probably make this a winter project & go over the whole deck.

Well after doing a search for these deck adjusters at $42. plus shipping I think I'll be doing a little fabricating. I'll just make a jig, heat & bend the handle then weld that on a piece of threaded rod or chase the threads.

Picked up my first 7117 and fell in love! Operates great, definitely impressed with simplicity! Came with rototiller, front blade, 48” mowerdeck and cab. She’s alittle rusty on the hood, but I gave her a nice tuneup, finishing coat of patina,New tractor tires,and windows since photos.
Picked her up for $350 off an local marketplace! I had a cub cadet 125 prior and man does this simplicity out perform it!61E70B83-4C71-4B84-AFBA-013989935751.jpeg
I h126BE8DF-B2AF-46CD-BF16-BFDB6ADF14D2.jpegBDEDF5C7-BAD0-43CE-8EB2-DD51B8D37B7C.jpegs

Welcome to the forum. You will like the cut you get from a Simplicity. You can still get the lift rods for the blade but they are not cheap.

Help! My simplicity 7117 started driving rough the other day. Engine sounds good at idle or with clutch pressed but is struggling when in forward or reverse. Not much resistance plowing will make her stall out! Has moderate aggressive vibration when driving. Doesn’t feel like a slipp or jerking from transmission . What are the possible culprits?! Checked plugs, oil and oil level, for loose wires. Maybe carburetor needs good clean? Please help.
Please and thank you. -Dee

Back