Picked up these two Sears today....

Lance Skene

Alberta, Canada
so who can tell me what models I have here..... got them free but I offered to fill the guys fuel tank for delivering them and that was $125, both engines turn freely and both tractors roll fine when in neutral, just got them unloaded so I havent even blown the dust off yet. Lots of mouse sign so I'll need to pull tins off the engines before I even try to start them. Ive worked on 2 or 3 Onans in the past and it looks like Peerless 2300 transaxles so I have exp with those.... first new to me projects since moving last winter so Im excited to get into them.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG010.JPG011.JPG006.JPG008.JPG

so not 'SS' or 'ST' models??? Think Ive only had a couple of old Sears in the past and sold them both without turning a wrench... had a Case 448 with a B48 in it... pricey engines to work on.

I know they made SS16, but think when they went to 18 HP engines they switched to GT. I used to have a GT 18 and basically identical to the SS series with BF 16hp Onan. Owned a couple SS16's too.

at closer look those are not Peerless 2300..... after blowing some dust off I see they are 3 speed + hi/lo, white one has the B48 which should be 18hp and the yellow has the N52 which seems to be a 19.9 hp. Yellow one looks like it will cleanup nicely.... white one isnt quite a good cond but not terrible

at closer look those are not Peerless 2300..... after blowing some dust off I see they are 3 speed + hi/lo, white one has the B48 which should be 18hp and the yellow has the N52 which seems to be a 19.9 hp. Yellow one looks like it will cleanup nicely.... white one isnt quite a good cond but not terrible
Nice strong rear ends, but I don't remember the make. May still be Peerless, but definitely not a 2300 series.

I maybe wrong but I thought Rope designed and built the transaxles in the Suburbans and on, I'll probably know more this fall/winter several on mine need work one locked up in gear if shift to neutral it rolls my main mowing tractor has started making growling sounds

tractordata says its a Peerless but doesnt give a model #.... and it does look very similar to other peerless transaxles Ive worked on but I cant find anything like it in my peerless manuals.

tractordata says its a Peerless but doesnt give a model #.... and it does look very similar to other peerless transaxles Ive worked on but I cant find anything like it in my peerless manuals.
I would put all my eggs in the tractor data information their good at most farm tractor but lacking on GT's a nd rare tractors

I had quite a long chat on the phone with a guy who tells me he own 15 old Sears tractors.... he claims the trans is a Peerless 632.... not to be confused with the later 600 series transaxles, originally often called an 8 speed(6 forward, 2 reverse) and then later became known as a 6+2, he also said they are built by Peerless... and that he himself has rebuilt a few of them. I still cant find much online but a little progress is better than none.LOL

and WTH has happened over at GTT??? the manual sections are hard to find and seem a ALOT smaller than they used to... I was never frequent visitor over there but it used to be a great place for manuals.

tractordata is just one guy, Peter, and he puts in a good effort but he relies on all of us to supply him with accurate info..... so ya its not always correct... if you see any errors send him an email to let him know so he can make corrections.
Yep I have done that and he was happy to have the information, its a great site I use a lot

I asked the same thing a while back Lance. I don't think 2/3 of the manuals got moved over to the "New" format. The whole site is screwed up now and hard to find anything so I don't bother with it.

so now Ive been to a couple differant "Sears" GT sites...... every place I ask about these trannys gets me a differant answer.... one guy said they were built by "Electrolux" for Roper, Sears and AYP... while others say it was built by Roper..... I dunno.... looks like a Peerless to me and it seems to be the same trans that larrybl(thx much) has in his Hulk II... he says its Peerless and he gave me an exploded view diagram that looks to be the right trans so that what Im going with... seems odd that it wasnt included in the Peerless/Tecumseh motion drive manual that I have but whatever... at least I now have a parts diagram now if I need to open one of these thing up.

Lance, the diagram came out of my Sears 19.9 manual, Here are the same pages out of the roper manual

Attachments

• Roper 20T Trans.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Thx Larry... this search has become almost comical... every place Ive posted these tractors has at least one self proclaimed EXPERT with a differant answer.... and looking back in older posts it seems many have discussed this topic several times but never come to an agreement.Lol

I do have a couple 3 speed W/ Hi-Lo transaxles in another shed, all I know about them is one came out of a Craftsman FF, and the other from a Sears. The difference is the Craftsman FF is a wide chassis and the Sears is narrow. The Craftsman FF transaxle had spacers to make it fit.

Back