Plow Positioning

carltoza

For those with experience on the subject what are the pros and cons to having the plow very near the axles vs. further back towards the handlebars?

I've been trying to figure out what the best location is for a small moldboard plow in relation to the axle. I've seen configurations where the plow is much closer to the wheels and others where it is much further back.

How close to the axle is too close and how far back is too far?

we are using this Chinese version 10hp diesel

1590984146158.png

Ok. I have been setting here typing answers and then removing them. When I go back and read them they are either wrong or misleading. The best I can come up with is that every thing on a two wheel tractor happens in relation to the center of the axle. The longer the distance between the center of the axle and the Implement the longer the arc the implement swings in when either turning or lifting. This can make a huge difference in ergonomics. As the plow was set on my David Bradly it would plow deep but the handle bars were nearly on the ground. Then at the end of the furrow when you were reedy to turn around you had to lift the handle bars over shoulder high to get the plow out of the dirt. Much to consider, your personal height not the least of them.
Don

If you are building/modifying your own plow, it would be easier to start with a longer one. You can keep shortening it up closer to the axle easier than adding length to it.

You may want to start out by determining the distance from the mounting bracket and where your feet will be when walking behind it.

Back