Poor Bolens 1225

Rustyoldjunk

Rustologist/Punishment Glutton
I took sime stuff in trade from a neighbor a few weeks back,including this poor tube frame Bolens.
TRA12 Wisconsin us not locked but most everything else was.
I have some parts freed up and some still soaking.
The 1225 is a 1969 hydro,hydraulic lift tractor and a one year only model.
Most would scrap or part it.
First I'm going to do what I like to do.
See if I can get it running and driving again.
Believe it or not I have started with worse. lol

Attachments

• 20190625_192715.jpg
    20190625_192715.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190625_192705.jpg
    20190625_192705.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190625_192643.jpg
    20190625_192643.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190625_192654.jpg
    20190625_192654.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190625_192801.jpg
    20190625_192801.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 25
Got an up draft carb so that could have saved the engine. I would check for spark. If there is none those parts are darn expensive and don't always solve the problem. Been there - done that & solde it a parts unit..

Got an up draft carb so that could have saved the engine. I would check for spark. If there is none those parts are darn expensive and don't always solve the problem. Been there - done that & solde it a parts unit..
The engine is a TRA12 Wisconsin.
They were available with both mag coil and 12 volt battery coil. They are points engines. If the coil is bad a coil swap takes about 10 minutes. Cleaning the point's is a 10 minute job too.
I have the parts,that's no issue. With 20 plus engines laying around that are not in tractors. And if worse comes to worse I have another TRA that can go in the tractor.
I have a feeling your tractor had a cast iron Tecumseh with their solid state ignition system.
I'm good with that too.
I work with a lot of Sears Suburbans with cast iron Tecumseh engines. So not only are several tractors here with those engines but I also have several cast iron Tecumseh OH and HH engines sitting around and spare SSI ignition units,carbs,etc.
Another note. Seldom does a SSI unit go bad. People just don't know how to clean and service them.
95 percent of the time a proper clean and service of the SSI system will fix you right up.
Most of the time people would just rather call them bad and be done with them. Just like a cast iron Briggs with a mag coil and points,a K series cast iron Kohler with its 12 volt coil and points if you will just clean and service the ignition system you are usually good to go.
But you have to be familiar with the particular ignition system and how to clean and check air gaps etc. These are very simple and reliable systems as long as you know how to maintenance them.
If you are not get pdf manuals. They will help you a ton.

The engine that was in the one I got was Wisconsin's first attempt at electronic ignition. Their idea of trouble shooting was "replace with known good part." Not possible if you don't have the same type engine running next to you. So all I could was throw parts at it. No way of knowing which part was bad or if the replacement part was good or didn't burn out another part. I have several old engines for a 7 hp Kohler rope start to a 16hp Onan M43 and I don't remember that any of them was a running tractor when I got it. Most of them will fire right off including the old cast iron 10 hp Briggs on my wood spliter. 4 of them have the ATOM electronic ignition on them simply because it was easier to install what I had on hand the wait for point, etc.

The engine that was in the one I got was Wisconsin's first attempt at electronic ignition. Their idea of trouble shooting was "replace with known good part." Not possible if you don't have the same type engine running next to you. So all I could was throw parts at it. No way of knowing which part was bad or if the replacement part was good or didn't burn out another part. I have several old engines for a 7 hp Kohler rope start to a 16hp Onan M43 and I don't remember that any of them was a running tractor when I got it. Most of them will fire right off including the old cast iron 10 hp Briggs on my wood spliter. 4 of them have the ATOM electronic ignition on them simply because it was easier to install what I had on hand the wait for point, etc.
If points are the issue just clean them.
Very seldom do they ever go bad in these engines.
Of the hundreds that I have worked on over the decades have I only ever seen a couple sets that needed replaced.
The condenser is way more likely to go bad.
If you had a TRA in that tractor you could have done a fast easy 12 volt coil conversion.

Back