pull behind mower modification

jdcrawler

Tractorologist
I have this Swisher pull behind mower that I use behind my JD to mow my 2-1/2 acre lawn.
The Swisher has a towbar that will fit into a socket on the center of the mower frame for pulling it directly behind the tractor. This towbar can also be fitted into the end of a long bar that slides out from the side of the mower frame so it runs out alongside the tractor. A chain is attached between the center of the mower frame and the towbar for support so the towbar isn't bent out sideways.
The JD has a 58 inch deck and the Swisher has a 60 inch deck. With the overlap between the two mowers, I'm cutting about a 8-1/2 foot path.

DSCN0333.JPG

This tractor itself isn't very good for trimming around trees. Turning it as tight as it will go still leaves a 3 foot diameter circle of uncut grass.
I have gotten pretty good at using the pull behind mower for trimming around trees.
I pull up so the outside edge of the Swisher mower is up against the side of the tree and then I run a circle around it and the grass is nicely cut right up to the tree.
However .. in doing that, the Swisher mower is pulled far enough out of tracking with the tractor so that it leaves a 8 inch wide strip of uncut grass all the way around between the tractor and the pull behind mower.

Another problem is with the Swisher mower being 3 foot behind the tractor, I have to actually turn around a little in the seat to be able to see the pull behind mower. I also have to be careful of how tight I turn the tractor as the rear tires will come in contact with the tow bar on the Swisher mower.

DSCN0335.JPG DSCN0336.JPG

For some time now I have been trying to come up with some idea of how I can correct these little problems with operating the tractor with the pull behind mower attached.
Yesterday morning I woke up with an idea for improving the tracking of the pull behind mower.
After doing some measuring and figuring, I ended up making these two parts. The one on the left is a trailer ball and the other is a trailer hitch.

DSCN0341.JPG

The long bar is removed from the side of the mower frame and the trailer ball fits into the tube instead.
The trailer hitch fits into the existing mounting bracket that is on the back of the tractor for hooking up the lawn vacuum.

DSCN0342.JPG

This puts the pivot point for the pull behind mower right off the back corner of the tractor. The Swisher mower is now 3 foot closer to the tractor and a lot easier to see by just turning my head and not having to actually turn in the seat.
The towbar is left attached to the center of the Swisher mower.

DSCN0343.JPG

Now I can turn the tractor as sharp as it will go to the Right and there is still plenty of clearance between it and the Swisher mower.

DSCN0344.JPG

Likewise when turning hard to the left there is plenty of clearance.
Even with the tractor turning as sharp as it can, there won't be any strip of uncut grass left.

DSCN0345.JPG

When I'm done mowing, I unhook the ball hitch on pull behind mower and the trailer hitch drops down out of the way. The trailer ball stays attached to the side of the Swisher mower.
Then I hook the mower back up to the tractor using the center towbar.DSCN0345-1.JPG

This makes it easy to back everything into the barn.

DSCN0345-2.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job JD, I have one oft hose mowers and it’s a beast. I usually don’t use mine until I cut one of the field areas. I like the offset tongue feature for trimming along the tree lines. I do my best thinking and planning at night as well.

For some reason the best time for solutions for me is in the shower. I don't know why but that's when things seemed to come together.
It happened so many times that the guys at work would remark that I had showered last night.

Back