Question about an 1150 series B&S

ol' stonebreaker

Tractorologist
A couple of yrs ago I put this engine on my old MTD chipper/shredder and it's hard to start when hot. I'm wondering if cranking it with the heavy rotor attached if maybe it isn't getting enough RPM to get past the compression release. It takes 3 or 4 pulls to start it cold. Hot seems to take forever. I think tomorrow I'll remove the valve cover and use the dial indicator to find how much lift the compression release has and back the lash off that amount to see if it starts easier and if that affects performance too bad.

Was shredding straw and when I tried to start it hot it still wouldn't start. Turns out I was chasing a gremlin that wasn't there. Pulled the spark plug and no spark. Found a known good plug and it made spark. Bought a new identical plug and voila it starts hot now. This was the plug that came in this new engine and probably didn't have 15 hrs on it. It amazes me it would run fine with no misfires and apparently would short out when hot. I'm guessing the fan draft would keep it cool enough while running and when it shut down it soaked up enough heat from the head to short out. Sure is a new one for me. I reset the exhaust valve back to spec.

Back