question for the Ariens GT guys aboard

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
I'm doing an engine transplant on one of my GT19s. The one with the KT "type 1" had a rod decide it needed to leave.
That's kinda ok/expected, as when I got this one it was "locked up"//and not expected to run again/ according to the PO, anyway. (I bought it for the rear PTO, and the tiller that was attached, at the time) so, the fact that I got it running, and got any use out of it was kind of a surprise, anyhow. Ended up the starter bendix was stuck "out" and had corroded in place, was what was holding it in a "frozen"/bound up state at the time.

I have an 18hp Magnum that I've been hanging onto just for one of these 2 tractors, I actually thought I'd be putting it on the "other" GT19 instead. That would be the one that I (mostly just) blow snow with.
I have 1 little problem with the transplant. The replacement engine has an oil filter that the original engine did not. Back when I thought the original engine was "shot" the 1st time, I did set this one in place on this frame. But I had a problem. I smashed the oil filter, on the frame gusset that I've seen on some of these tractors that have twin cyl engines, my other S/GT series Ariens with single cylinder engines don't have.
I did buy a (used) remote mount oil filter adapter via Ebay, since then/ just waiting for this swap. Just lacking the gasket, where it mounts to the block.
This gusset protrudes on the outside of the frame at a 45*, and blends into the vertical wall of the frame just at the edge of where the grill bolts to the frame.

A couple of months ago I bought a rear PTO driven leaf sucker that mounts to the 3 point and runs off the rear PTO.
I noticed that the PO of that lawn vac has a GT18 that this vac had come to him with. with very much the same M18 as what I have here, ready to go on.
I went back and asked if I could have a look at his GT18 as this was right after having blown that Type 1 KT. I wanted to see how Ariens had done this install when all was brand new. This guy's GT18 has the filter, and it's directly screwed onto the block, no remote mount. I saw that this gusset I speak of was there, just "extended" before the 45* part "curves up" towards the vertical edge of the frame. I should have taken measurements to compare/ or at least a pic or 2 but I didn't.

Can one of you guys that has a GT18 or maybe a GT20, check on this for me/ and let me know how much longer that gusset extends, as compared to the ones with the twins that don't have an oil filter? A pic of the front right side near the filter area would even be a big help.
I cut that gusset back an inch and 1/2 before it curves "upwards" towards the top vertical edge of the frame, ground all the welds off, and saved that piece I removed. The top edge of the frame in that same area, angles upwards in line with this outer gusset/ I cut that part of the vertical wall of the frame out "square" and came up just behind the rearward mounting hole for the grille.
I plan to move the cut off piece of the outer gusset forward/ as I remember that GT18 being, and weld in a filler "extender" piece to preserve the rigidity of everything. I just need to know "how much" to move it.

Last edited:
IMG_20220730_223953280_HDR.jpgIMG_20220730_223835887_HDR.jpgIMG_20220730_223908392_HDR.jpg the red one is the "new" one. And the smashed filter is still on there, been sitting in the shed that way ever since.
I'm asking, trying to avoid lifting it in and outta there a dozen times to measure and hack, haha haha
on the gt18 I looked at, it had that piece I'm holding with the vise grips further forward. I don't know what purpose, that those 3 holes in the frame, ahead of that gusset, might serve// and what capabilities I may be restricting, by covering them up.
What would mount there?

Attachments

• IMG_20220730_224016687_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220730_224016687_HDR.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I did set the new motor in there, after I made my cutouts but before I welded it up. Nobody here at the time to help me get it from the table cart to the tractor and back.... Getting it back up n outta there was worse than getting it in there.
One thing I hate about when many people swap an engine is the hack job they do cutting out and making room for the new one without regard, and without consideration of what collateral damage they may have done without beefing it back up while they have an open engine compartment, until something bad happens/ and then it's "well I didn't know" (usually it's that they "didn't care")

(bang head) I actually ended up stripping this one down, found another one in better overall shape for a crazy unbelievable price on eBay. Wasn't even trying or looking for that.
Went looking for a few parts and this complete running machine popped up. Cost me way more on gas and time, than I pd for the machine/ and it runs, pretty well too! Had to go All the way across Illinois by the Mississippi river to retrieve it.
I don't think there's a single nut, bolt, washer for one of these listed on eBay for less than I paid for this whole machine. It came with a nice deck and plow blade too, included!!!!! No reserve sale, old guy wasn't happy with the outcome
The tractor wasn't worth the engine that I was thinking of puttin onto it.

All isn't for naught though, was a good guinea pig.
I do see the difference between frames made for a single cylinder and a twin now though. And what I'd have to do later if I wanted to put a twin in a tractor that came with a single cylinder.
I did a bunch of sawzall/grinder demo on the gt19 but the frame is still intact, might hang on to that at least.
Kind of had to get brutal with the teardown.
I couldn't get the flanges off the hydro so I ended up cutting the shaft. I have another known good hydro that I could swap on if need be.... Being that I have other machines like this I had to save the rear pto. What few parts are still good will live, on on my other GT19, my new GT16, my other gt16, or my new Holland s14. I'll tell more in another post.

Back