Quick and relatively easy snowblower repair

ol' stonebreaker

Tractorologist
Fired up the Poulan yesterday to clear the 8" off the driveway, went about 2 feet and plugged the chute. After much searching to find the cause I found the arm on the end of a shaft that pushes the belt idler bracket had cracked and bent so the belt wasn't getting full tension. This may be a common problem 'cause the arm on the other end of the shaft the cable pulls on was attached to the shaft with a pin thru the arm and shaft with a ball detent in it. That and two screws on the other end holding the idler bracket was all it took to remove the shaft. After beveling the crack, heating the part that was still attached to shaft and bending it back into place, welded it with the mig reassembled it and it works fine now. Sure glad I have the machines and ability to weld. If it had gone to the shop I'd have wound up buying another 'til that one was fixed.
Oh, BTW, no pics 'cause I wanted to get it going 'cause it was still snowing the whole time!!
Mike

I hope my walk behind is so easy. Impeller spinning, auger no spinny. Shear pins ok. I'm thinking i might check that papyrus book of knowledge that Kenney refers to...ah the manual. New gears in the diff at auger might be in need of some love.
NO rush, snowing the for the next 16 hours so I will have time to,,,or not.
The MIGHTY SS16 is ready, well it has no lights. Maybe I go cruise the hood for folks wanting helping removing that from 3' frozen snow at the end of their driveway.
My SIL has similar size driveway and her husband bought her a awesome Mahindra tractor with backhoe bucket and blade.

Meds kicking in,,time for doe doe

Back