Removing deck pulleys

hamman

Tractorologist
I consider myself very adept a working on my Homelite GTs but one thing bothers me to no end ! I am rebuilding the 48 M deck to my dad's T-16 H and I have destroyed all the pulleys trying to get them off. Yes I have used heat from my big torches, massive amounts of PB Blaster, WD 40 Marvel Mystery Oil etc.. I have used a 12 ton press with the proper blocking behind the collar of the pulley to no positive end.
I have come to believe it is because of the old style woodruff keys they used, at least in the two of mine, woodruffkeyold.PNG They get sideways and hold very tight. Thus the mangling of the pulleys in trying to get them off. I will use the new style when they go back together. woodruffkeynew.PNGI have one more spare 48 M deck to get the pulleys from that is why I am asking for a little insight in removing them. I do not want to ruin any more pulleys. I can buy " Weld a pulleys " but preferer to use the originals. Thanks for looking
Roger

Dang, Roger, that is always annoying to destroy good parts that need to be removed to rebuild a piece of equipment. A year and a half ago I rebuilt the deck on the MF12G. One pulley wasn't coming off no matter what. Had to chop it up with cutoff wheels. The key on them are square keys, not half-moon. The pulleys got anti seize when assembled.

DAC

DSCN1752.JPG

I will try the bearing separators. I was told to also if possible drill down thru the key to relieve the stress and or remove the majority of the key. Thanks.
Roger

Back