Rescued A Cub Cadet 108

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I really didn’t need another project but I just couldn’t pass this up. I seen this parked in a yard down the road from my sons house since last winter. It was never moved just begging to be adopted. We were visiting yesterday and as we were going home it was on a small trailer with scrap all around it headed to the scrap yard. I pulled in to talk to the guy and he had just loaded it up. He said he had it running but the last tenants just left it sit along with a lot of other stuff. I asked him what he wanted and he said $50. and I offered $40. and he was good. He dropped it off at my sons house for me to pick up in a few days. I’m not sure what I’ll do with it or what shape it’s in. Most of that black stuff on it is like an algae from sitting under some trees. I probably won’t pick it up until mid next week and may just sit for awhile until I can get caught up with other projects.

Attachments

• 5B1126B9-AD4E-4CB5-91A8-979B3061BDC6.jpeg
    5B1126B9-AD4E-4CB5-91A8-979B3061BDC6.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 17
  • D61E7B91-591D-45B8-A41C-5E4E423196F5.jpeg
    D61E7B91-591D-45B8-A41C-5E4E423196F5.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 44C27B2A-F6BB-4B86-B980-EA9CBB7C3F48.jpeg
    44C27B2A-F6BB-4B86-B980-EA9CBB7C3F48.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 17
  • 97E67300-6709-4F27-A138-01B2E2627FC7.jpeg
    97E67300-6709-4F27-A138-01B2E2627FC7.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 88B43249-AE92-4679-BAFB-2A00859CBAEC.jpeg
    88B43249-AE92-4679-BAFB-2A00859CBAEC.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 19
NICE!!! trust me Ive dragged them home looking far worse than that one... does it have the creeper gear? First thing I recommend is to rebuild the clutch, they tend to get sloppy and slip with age but if your interested in a stock puller those are an awesome tractor to work with.

I really didn’t need another project but I just couldn’t pass this up. I seen this parked in a yard down the road from my sons house since last winter. It was never moved just begging to be adopted. We were visiting yesterday and as we were going home it was on a small trailer with scrap all around it headed to the scrap yard. I pulled in to talk to the guy and he had just loaded it up. He said he had it running but the last tenants just left it sit along with a lot of other stuff. I asked him what he wanted and he said $50. and I offered $40. and he was good. He dropped it off at my sons house for me to pick up in a few days. I’m not sure what I’ll do with it or what shape it’s in. Most of that black stuff on it is like an algae from sitting under some trees. I probably won’t pick it up until mid next week and may just sit for awhile until I can get caught up with other projects.
If you really don't need that and it's in your son's way I will pick it up for you and store it for you.:)
At $40 you stole it!!
But you already know that.:thumbs:

There's one near me that looks alot worse the guy's wanting $375 for, it's been there a while as well.
I'd like to get a 108 and put a bigger engine in one. Would still be a cast iron Kohler w/o a doubt. I'd like to have a 14 or 16 hp in one of those.

NICE!!! trust me Ive dragged them home looking far worse than that one... does it have the creeper gear? First thing I recommend is to rebuild the clutch, they tend to get sloppy and slip with age but if your interested in a stock puller those are an awesome tractor to work with.
Not sure on the creeper, I seen on TD that was an option. A guy a few miles from me has several pullers mostly Cubs. I’ve been wanting to stop by and pick his brain awhile. We have three surrounding counties not far that have several truck and tractor pulls a few times a year. I definitely wouldn’t have to travel far.

There's one near me that looks alot worse the guy's wanting $375 for, it's been there a while as well.
I'd like to get a 108 and put a bigger engine in one. Would still be a cast iron Kohler w/o a doubt. I'd like to have a 14 or 16 hp in one of those.
You dont need another engine... its very easy to get 14+hp out of a k241 using just stock parts and the LP head... thats why the K series engines are so popular in pullers... and in some cases Ive seen 10hp engines using the k301 block so you should check the casting marks under the pto and count the cooling fins.... if its a 13 fin 301 its the ideal block to build up because the sidewalls are a little thicker than a standard 12 fin block... the 341 are boat anchors IMO... if they have survived this long chances are they wont last much longer and they often cant be rebuilt.

Not sure on the creeper, I seen on TD that was an option. A guy a few miles from me has several pullers mostly Cubs. I’ve been wanting to stop by and pick his brain awhile. We have three surrounding counties not far that have several truck and tractor pulls a few times a year. I definitely wouldn’t have to travel far.
I couldnt tell in the pics if it has a creeper... the handle would be just below the left front edge of the seat... a round knob that moves forward/back... its not a big deal but 1st low is excellent for tilling and 2nd low is good for a snowblower... for most other basic yard chores you wouldnt use low range at all.

Ideally I would like a 128 because that the first wide frame tractor with the rubber engine mounts and it has a bit more weight to it. Ive already had a 126 so Im looking to step up.Haha

The only thing Cub I have ever owned is the blade on the MF8E, so I don't know a damm thing about them. With that said, you should feel guilty for beating the guy down from 50 to 40 bucks, then getting him to deliver it to your son's place---LOL! Looks like a very tough tractor, Jim!

DAC

I couldnt tell in the pics if it has a creeper... the handle would be just below the left front edge of the seat... a round knob that moves forward/back... its not a big deal but 1st low is excellent for tilling and 2nd low is good for a snowblower... for most other basic yard chores you wouldnt use low range at all.

Ideally I would like a 128 because that the first wide frame tractor with the rubber engine mounts and it has a bit more weight to it. Ive already had a 126 so Im looking to step up.Haha
It doesn’t look like there is a creeper. Just looks like a plain Jane tractor with no options.
A 108/128 still had a solid mounted engine. The Quietline series that came after them, 800/1000/1200, were the first ones with the rubber mounted engines.

The only thing Cub I have ever owned is the blade on the MF8E, so I don't know a damm thing about them. With that said, you should feel guilty for beating the guy down from 50 to 40 bucks, then getting him to deliver it to your son's place---LOL! Looks like a very tough tractor, Jim!

DAC
His first reply was $20. is about all he’ll get scraping it out then I said you need more than that just for taking it off the trailer he laughed and said $50. then I said $40. he was happy. He offered to take it to my sons house which is only two houses away, he needed it off so he could load more scrap. My son helped him get it unloaded. I really think if I had stopped that morning when it was still in the yard he would have given it too me.

You dont need another engine... its very easy to get 14+hp out of a k241 using just stock parts and the LP head... thats why the K series engines are so popular in pullers... and in some cases Ive seen 10hp engines using the k301 block so you should check the casting marks under the pto and count the cooling fins.... if its a 13 fin 301 its the ideal block to build up because the sidewalls are a little thicker than a standard 12 fin block... the 341 are boat anchors IMO... if they have survived this long chances are they wont last much longer and they often cant be rebuilt.
I have a few k301s and 321s here, the problem with them are that for a cub cadet they need to be a narrow base and all I have are the wide base except for the one that came out of (and is going back into) my 129.

I like cub cadets, up to the first of the red ones (82 series)
somewhere in between there and current day ones, they became pure crap, not "up" on the newer ones enough to exactly say "when". . I wouldn't want one made in about the last 12 or so years at all.
When mtd first got them from IH, and cub was allowed to pretty much continue on "as they were" for a while before mtd threw their "cheapness" into them, they were still a good machine.

Hey any MTD 'Haters' are always welcome to come up here for Pull-Off... loser buys the whiskey. Hahaha

I think the Cub 1862 I had was a '91 so that would have been built by MTD and those were a step up from anything built in the IH era, the earlier IH tractors are better looking, and very capable machines, but up until the mid '90s MTD was what everyone else was trying to catch up to. When comparing brands you need to look at all their machines cause they all built a wide variety and there wasnt much out there as big and heavy as the MTD 99X series tractors.

I have a nice 1250 I bought several years ago with a 48” deck and a front plow. It had a broken governor rod and I got it cheap. I took the engine out about three years ago and took it apart. It had cross hatch marks on the cylinder walls and the piston was stamped .010 over. It also had a plate from a Cub Cadet shop that it had been rebuilt. I called the PO and he said he had it done about two months prior.

Attachments

• 810B972D-9843-48AA-A52F-FF165797ADCF.jpeg
    810B972D-9843-48AA-A52F-FF165797ADCF.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 5DCF7C71-D10D-4292-B1B0-BEC238B358DC.jpeg
    5DCF7C71-D10D-4292-B1B0-BEC238B358DC.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 10
  • BCD2F54A-F9BF-44F1-8832-DD5FEAAC9E05.jpeg
    BCD2F54A-F9BF-44F1-8832-DD5FEAAC9E05.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 10
I picked the ole girl up today it looks better than I thought. I had to borrow a friends trailer which only had a width of 48” so I had to take the deck off. It has a 42” deck which is in good shape.
5C5B22EA-D325-4CAB-B99F-AFBB36E251BB.jpeg
41397718-4332-4F4F-9300-CE76672736AA.jpeg9A2A65C4-F06B-4B86-8C9E-D2D07127171B.jpeg
IHCubCadet147 mentioned the engine should have been yellow instead of black. According to the engine decal it’s been replaced with a K301 that’s even better.
0FC70A31-54AA-45E4-92B7-63602418C03E.jpeg
The seat is gross with algae and rot. It’s the type that slips over the metal shell.
I might try to start it in a couple of days. If it starts and drives well I can’t part this out. If all goes well it might make a nice grass cutter. I like a 42” deck for the yard, I have several places I can’t take a 48” or a 50”.
CF02DA40-B289-4037-848B-5161FAC274B4.jpeg
Carol was on standby on the four wheeler ready to winch it off the trailer because the LF tire bead was off.
A6CB623B-D072-4906-980F-E7BDD3DEF484.jpeg

Sounds like a project with a lot of potential, Jim! The engine sticker is in good shape so maybe that means low hours! Both of the Kohlers I have the stickers were and are unreadable.

DAC
I think the hours on this are low it’s too clean and the oil was in the hash marks and clean. I’m anxious to see if it runs.

Back