Roller chain puller

ol' stonebreaker

Tractorologist
Made this up to mount #40 roller chain on the front tires of the snowblower tractor. Took it on the grass and made some hard turns and the chain didn't try to shift so we'll see what happens this winter. I took the pic of it on the chain after I'd joined the chain so the master link isn't showing. It took some doing to get the master link clip in place with the chain laying on the tread!!

Attachments

• 2004-12-31 23.00.00-1 (Small).jpg
    2004-12-31 23.00.00-1 (Small).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 2004-12-31 23.00.00-2 (Small).jpg
    2004-12-31 23.00.00-2 (Small).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 15
To pull chain together for installing connecting links I just use tie wire like used for rebar. Go about four links back from one end of the chain and tie the wire to the cross link then take it across to the other end about 3 or for links back and pull it back through the center then back where you started but one link closer to the end and through the center and repeat. each link you go through acts a block to increase pull. You can apply a lot of pull this way.
Don

I tried those roller chains once. One trip up and down the block, and I lost one in the deep snow. Kinda' expensive.
I deflated the tire and got it as snug as I could with special tool and the aired it up to 20psi. As said I did some tight turns in the grass and they didn't shift so I hope they stay tight in cold weather. I'll recheck tire pressure when it's time to move snow.

Back