Rubber Clutch Disc??? Lol

Lance Skene

Alberta, Canada
Not sure if I posted anything here about this 960 yet..... customer machine that came in a few weeks back and he wasnt in any rush so I poured a little tranny fluid down the plug hole and let it sit.... it did turn by hand but I like to soak things down with any engine that hasnt run for a long time.... it belonged to the guys dad and he didnt know when it may have run.... guessing 20 years maybe more.

and its in tough shape, had several 'farmer fixes' over the years... including what appears to be chunk of old tire sidewall replacing the fiber disc clutch. Lol...... and some machinery chain holding the brake pedal from pivoting too far back....... at this point he just wants to know if it will run... and I had it running on a sqirt bottle today...... it didnt make any ugly noises so Ive pulled the carb, cleaned and reinstalled that but I need to get some exhaust gasket material before I can put the muffler back on. Next Im gonna make it so it will fire up with the switch and then we will have to have a discussion about his budget before I proceed any further.... as Im sure many of you know there will be alot of hours involved in bringing something this rough back to life.Lol

011.JPG008.JPG009.JPG003.JPG

I had a fiber disc break for me years back and was told to try it. Then later got a tractor that had it done. Smart or not I don't know.

Looks like a lot of potential to me, Lance! Hopefully he will allow you to get it working well again.

DAC
and thats sort of what I recommended... I'll get it functional and then he can take it home and work on the cosmetics. He doesnt have any attachments or much use for them because he lives in town... he has a small Bolens lawn tractor that also looks pretty rough but it still cuts the grass.. for now.

So its actually pretty hard to get that rubber clutch to slip, in fact it grips a little too well and the tractor will do little wheelies quite easily... problem is the rubber sticks to the pressure plates and sometimes doesnt release the clutch when I press the pedal... which makes it tough to change the gears. So that will have to be changed and it takes several hours because it requires the engine be R&R... MY job is just to get it running and starting, owner says he will do the clutch.... that makes me wonder if I wont get this thing back in pieces a year from now.LOL

For now I just need to sort out the electrical system, starting with some batt cables because there arent any, then make sure the solenoid and keyswitch work. I expect I will have 8-10 hrs into it by then... that will be enough until I see some $$$.... dont like to put too many hours into something this rough until I know the customer wont freak out on the bill.

Back