Sears 2-40-200 amp Battery charger

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I messed with this this morning. Went to use it the other day to start a tractor and it quit on me. Took the covers off and looked around. Did some continuity tests and all seemed good. Plugged it in several times hooked to a battery and nothing. I was afraid to get too close to the transformer, didn't know if it held voltage. Got a battery cable and used it to ground the wiring in there just in case. More continuity tests, some love taps with a small hammer around the circuit breaker. Plugged it back in and it works again. I'm baffled!

Here's a manual on one close to it:

Attachments

• L0305339.pdf
    452.6 KB · Views: 7
The only thing I can see in there that tapping would cure is your circuit breaker. It should reset automatically and might have been hung up or the contacts are corroded. The other thing would be a loose or corroded connection.

The only thing I can see in there that tapping would cure is your circuit breaker. It should reset automatically and might have been hung up or the contacts are corroded. The other thing would be a loose or corroded connection.
I took all the wires off to test the switches, but it still didn't work until I grounded the rectifier wires and gave the circuit breaker the love taps. Bet the circuit breaker is getting old and has arthritis! Doesn't want to reset without help!

I really think it just wanted some attention! After several hours of 'loving it', it decided to work again.

You could be right. Did you say it was made by GM ? :eek:
I just had to say that. ;)

Back