Sears Economy tractor

Sears had their fingers in just about everything! So many cool old sears products out there. I don't believe sears ever manufactured any of their own stuff but rebadged some very nice equipment.

You think about it Sears was back then what Amazon is today... One stop shop..

Still remember their Catalogs. They were awesome.

I seen on the news the other day a guy was complaining that amazon and other internet retailers have ruined the brick and mortar stores. The guy on the opposite side said "Amazon is just like Sears was. Instead of sending out a catalog to their customers they have a virtual marketplace to sell their goods" The other guy never made a good come back to that statement.

You would think a company such as sears which in their humble beginnings was the first real mail order market place would be very able to compete in the virtual market place...

Trator data list the Sears New Econmeny tractor MFG 1938-1939.
MFG by Peru Wheel, Peru Ill. $550 1939. Ford 4 cylinder 201 CID engine, Ford transmission 3 forward 1 reverse.
No listing on serial numbers or number produced.

Sears is a prime example of getting away from what made them a major company by the 1950's thru the 1980's. Today closed stores and empolyes with out jobs.

Would think switching from catalog sales to internet sales would be so simple with slect catalog stors in slect citys to ship to free of charge or for a fee ship to home.

But they like JC Penny's got rid of the Catalogs in the 1970's. Ya JC Penny sold a lot of things thru the catalog also. till the 1980 80% of my colthing came from JC Penny's. Back in thr CB Fad eria JC Penny's sold one of the finist moble sets on the market.

:D Al

Hi I followed that Sears Economy restore thread on Smokstak was interesting, There were a number of tractor kits sold in the 20's & 30's the Thieman was another that was a pretty good looking tractor you bought the kit and used the engine of your choice most popular being the Ford Model A but Chevy's used
Yea its amazing how Sears went down at one time you could anything you wanted or needed there and if they didn't have it it was because it wasn't on the market yet
About 30 yrs ago I was to a small farm auction about 60 miles north of me there was a Thieman on it I really liked it did bid but it went for more money than I had at the time really hasn't that much maybe $200 / $300 I did buy my Sears Lathe that day

Last edited:
Just a few years ago I had a 30 year old sears garage door opener. That thing worked great, but the plastic gear stripped out. I called the sears number on the "call for service sticker", gave them the model/serial number, within 5 minutes they confirmed the part was in stock, and I had it in two days for around 5 bucks. Sure beat 200 bucks for a new garage door opener. I had super heavy wood garage doors.

I don't know if they still offer that kind of service, but at the time I was really impressed.

Back