Setting top throttle speed

Cadman-iac

Tractorologist
Ok, got this thing just about ready to fire up and run with everything hooked up. (Ran it hotwired just to see that it would run).
Now I think the max governed speed on this 15 hp Briggs engine is 3600RPM.
So what I'd like to know is, how do you know how fast it's actually running?
I think, but not sure, that you can put a dwell meter on the points connection to get a reading. Then use the 4 cylinder setting and multiply it by 4 to get the correct reading, (I think!).
Am I right, or is there another way that works better?
Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Rick

I have one of those tachs on my LGT 165 Ford. Works great. Mine has a service reminder every 25 hours.
I also use what I call a vibration tach. It’s portable, so I can use it on any thing that vibrates when running to find rpm.

Noel

Attachments

• 8BF7D01A-1D4A-423B-A347-E8F8A7676CFB.png
    8BF7D01A-1D4A-423B-A347-E8F8A7676CFB.png
    735.5 KB · Views: 5
These are all good options, but I would have to wait for which ever one to arrive before I can set it up.
I don't know, because I have never tried to use a tach/dwell meter on a mower engine before.

Do any of you guys know if that works?

I'm probably gonna have to get one of these anyway. I like the fact that it gives you a time alert, so you can change your oil on a regular basis. I have always just had to guess at how long it's been used between oil changes, this would take the guesswork out of it.
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Rick

I checked my HF phototach against a 1750 RPM electric motor and it was dead on. How do I know for sure the motor was turning at that RPM? If an electric motor is running on 60hz current it will be running at the advertised RPM.

On the laser it comes with aluminum strips that can be placed on flywheels, belt pullies, fan blades, etc. can measure almost anything that spins.
Thanks for the information Larry, and I do appreciate the tip.

Rick

Never seen one of those, and doubt that I’ll ever have one. Seems like the thing to get. Again. Portable, but have the strips of stuff with ya.

Noel

Pretty cheep and good for what it does. If worried about running out od the reflective strips I found the 3M aluminum tape works well.
I was just wondering what you did when you ran out of the stickers. Glad to know you're not stuck buying more from them.

You can find one of these vibration tachs for alot less than$40 of this one posted. I bought my last one about a year ago from eBay for like $12 brand new. They do break (the housing is plastic) and they do get lost/misplaced. I currently have 2 of them. I've had at least one more in years past that's MIA

I still have my "Vibra Tach", bu haven't used it since buying the photo tach, which is way more accurate. I did use the photo tach to test the accuracy of the vibra tach, and it was pretty close. I gave only like $8 for my photo tach, but that was a few years ago. They are around $12+ with free shipping on ebay.

Well after all the worrying about how I was going to check the rpm of this engine, I remembered that I have a timing light with a digital tach built in. I tried it out yesterday and it worked great.
Now I've just got to get the governor set right. If I get it to idle correctly, it doesn't have the top end speed it's supposed to. And if I get the top end speed set correctly, it wants to idle at 2000 rpm. Neither is acceptable to me.
Got a couple more ideas to make it run right, then I'll be yelling for help. Hope this works.

Rick

Got it going great now. Figured out what was going on with the governor. Had to put a second spring on it and readjust it. Now it's got a top speed of 3300, and idles at 1400 give or take 50.

The front wheels used to run into the mower deck, so I figured I would modify it a little bit, make a couple of recessed spots. Got it cut and bent some and figured I better check it out before I get too far along. Put it on the tractor and turned the wheels, they don't come close now, but not because of my modifications, oh no!!!
Seems that the axle must have been installed on the old tractor so that it was positioned more to the rear. Well when I removed it from the old front frame section, and installed it on the new one, i positioned it so that it was more to the front.
If I had only checked the deck first before I modified it, I would have seen that it wasn't necessary to modify anything. So now I have to weld up my deck where I cut and bent it.
If I ever catch that guy Murphy, I'm gonna kill him!!

Rick

Back