shaft drive question

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
I have a couple of shaft drive Ariens machines. they all have this fiberglass-ish, plastic disc bolted to the flywheel hub and to the driveshaft. I have heard of these self destructing, Shorty, wasn't that you that had this issue? Mine show no cracks or deterioration, but are 40+ years old. Would it hurt anything to cut these discs out of ~ 1/8" steel and substituting those in there?

Those discs were meant to flex. 1/8 inch steel won't flex. I've used heavy belting like the cub cadets and a stack of five 24 ga. Sheet metal discs on the front Kubota pto shaft with good results.

Yup, she broke and gutted herself. I am slowly getting that one closer to fixed. Planning to use belting instead of the fiber disc.

Those discs were meant to flex. 1/8 inch steel won't flex. I've used heavy belting like the cub cadets and a stack of five 24 ga. Sheet metal discs on the front Kubota pto shaft with good results.
Did you use the metal with the belting or is that another spot? A parts tractor I have only had the discs of belting without any metal. Would you add that? I haven't worked with this before, so trying to learn all I can.

Back