Simpilicty 3416 about to give up on it

MNGB

Tractorologist
I got a Simplicity 3416 from my brother last fall engine needed some work found the exhaust valc=ve had bent replaced it and the engine runs great but for the life of me can not get the deck drive belt to saty in place,. Mowing around the shop take 1 hr with the Sears Suburban I've tried 5 times now and have yet completed a mowing with the 3416, about a week ago I got 45 minutes of mowing and the belt came off reinstalled it and finished mowing,, thought I check out what might be the problem looked in the manual the PTO has to grooves manual says install the belt on the inner groove belt was running in the outer groove so could this be the problem I moved to the inner groove this required moving the tow idler pulley to align did that so this morning I needed to mow out I went made 3/4 round and no deck sound looked and the belt was off disgusted I went back to the shop got the trusty Husqvarna out and mowed no problems mowede like a champ. When I got back in the shop took a quick look at the 3416 only to discover not only did the belt pop off it is now tightly wrapped around the PTO pulley and clutch assy looks like I;ll be cutting it off so its batting 100% have not really finished once yet
HPIM1392.JPG

Might be a bent or missing belt guide.... or damaged/bent pulley. Those Simplicity decks usually run trouble free and leave a very nice finish... that should have a similar pto setup to the AC917 I sold awhile back.....cant put too much faith in my memory but I think the inner groove was for the deck and outer groove for the tiller

Giving up isn't like you Gary. Hate to see a good Simplicity tarnish your image.
If it wasn't such a long drive I'd come up there and hold the light for you. Are you sure all the belt guides are there?

Not sure which deck you have (42 or 48), but the idlers/tensioner pulley will be the same. Could be the spring has stretched and not doing it's job. Or worn pivot parts. Here's a screenshot to see if I am looking at what you see.
Selection_034.jpg

Thanks guys yea its going to sit for a couple of days I ordered a new belt its the drive belt from the PTO to the deck that is giving trouble no belt guides but it could be an alignment problem or could be the belt had a bad spot that I missed when installing it it was a used one

Maybe two belt guides at the pto pulley Gary. If horizontal shaft engine, put the guides on either side of the pulley so the belt can’t come off there. Might help.

Noel

These Simplicity's don't have the PTO on the engine it drives off a gearbox that goes from the engine to the PTO and hydro drive, I have to look it over good maybe the deck isn't mounted just right to the tractor or maybe just a bad belt, I would liked to have had more belt tension but there is no way to adjust that so its got to have the right length belt, if I think of it I'll take some pics of the PTO set up

Hey Chris that is a great video yes nice of you to take time to do it :thumbs:, I'm with you it had to be a bad belt I was in too big a hurry to install a belt and get it going, plus going to double check that the 2 idler pulleys have the belt running in the canter thanks much

first few times I had to work on Simpletractors I thought they were a bit over-complicated but they do normally work very well.. and still one my fav brand of GTs.. I just wish they had put a foot control for the hydro transaxle.

Thanks for the kind responses but I did not make the video, just did a search and found it on U-tube. Don't know that I'm smart enough to put something like that together.
You could do it Chris I have faith in you, worked on aligning the idlers they look good now so we'll see how it goes when the new belt gets here. On another note I took the tow mower out and gave it a try it worked very good I like it' takes some getting use to learning to drive with it offset and behind you

That was an outstanding video Chris dug up. I remember my first experience with the Simplicity’s was my 7117. My first thought was WOW! what a mess. I did a few things wrong at first like putting the drive belt on the outside instead of the inside and believe it or not I even had the deck spinning backwards lol. Once I got everything figured out I quickly declared this my best grass cutter ever. One thing I would like to know is it normal for the PTO to squeal so much when engaged. I think Gary once you rest from it awhile and get things tweaked a little you’ll love it.

You are going to have it mowing in no time Gary! That video Chris posted is pretty thorough as to how everything should line up. Looks like a nice smooth running setup!1

DAC

Back