Slime in Winter

chieffan

Tractorologist
When I pick up my Ranger used it had a flat on the rear. When I got it home I found the small leak in the tread. Sealed it off with slime. Month and 1/2 later I bought a pir of mud grip tires for the back. When we changed the tires over, the slime in that old tire was black goo around the inside of the tire. Some of it was froze like thin ice. Tire still held air OK so the slime was still working but sure looked ugly. I guess what you don't see or know about don't matter as long as it keeps working.

I am not a fan of that stuff....I'd rather carry a plug kit and a 12v compressor in my vehicle.
Not talking about a road vehicle. Polaris Ranger UTV, 4 wheeler ATV, Garden & Lawn Tractors and carts, etc. I never plug a vehicle tire except in an emergency and that is when the AAA service truck does it.

My neighbor has 3 Polaris Rangers and a 4 wheeler that gets a big shot of Slime in the tires when they are mounted. Has a bunch of cattle and pastures had a lot of Honey Locust in them. Would have to run solid tires if it wasn't for the tire sealant.

Not talking about a road vehicle. Polaris Ranger UTV, 4 wheeler ATV, Garden & Lawn Tractors and carts, etc. I never plug a vehicle tire except in an emergency and that is when the AAA service truck does it.

My neighbor has 3 Polaris Rangers and a 4 wheeler that gets a big shot of Slime in the tires when they are mounted. Has a bunch of cattle and pastures had a lot of Honey Locust in them. Would have to run solid tires if it wasn't for the tire sealant.

I slimed a 4 wheeler tire one time. Never again. Broke it down and that crap was every where! Took my forever to get it off nice aluminum b lock rims.

Because of all the mesquite trees down here, most all the hunters and ranchers have their ATVs and utility vehicles along with most farm equipment that see any pasture work foam filled. The tires do pretty well like that and never go flat. If you have to replace the tire you have to cut it off the rim. We had our bobcat and all our forklift tires filled that way.

I dealt with slime in the past, I plug tires now after I cleaned the after affects of slime and sanded and painted the rims. Slime is pure evil along with the spray foam crack sealers. I do have a bunch of mesquite trees also.
Did you see the episode of Myth Busters where they filled vehicle tires with construction foam? It was good for about a 100 yards.

I slimed a 4 wheeler tire one time. Never again. Broke it down and that crap was every where! Took my forever to get it off nice aluminum b lock rims.
Put to much in. Only need enough to seal the hole. It washes off with water you know.

Most tire stores here ask if slime has been used. Might just as well tell the truth as you know it because if they break a tire down and find it that is as far as it goes. You will get a slimy tire broke down on one side and told not to return.

I always try to do my own flats if I am at home break the tire down and install a inside patch to the tubeless ones. I've had problems with Atv tires breaking down so have taken them to a tire shop so they will do it then I patch the tire as all they want to do is add a plug.

:D Al

If you put in just enough to seal the leak there should be no problem when breaking a tire down. I do all my own repairs on the yard & garden equipment. The UTV tires were to stiff and cold for my manual changer. Don't do the car or truck tires either. Nothing wrong with a plug or two on ATV/UTV tires either. No speed involved for heat build up.

Back