Snow blower chute control

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
I have a 4 foot 2 stage snowblower on my Ariens GT. It works great, except for 1 thing.
I have no way to raise and lower the discharge chute from the seat. And the cable spun around a drum, and hooked to the chute to rotate it, is archaic.maybe prehistoric.these 2 pertain to just the chute itself, not the whole blower. That is hydraulically controlled by the tractor already.

What can I adapt to the chute so I can control it from the seat? I've heard of putting a power window motor from a car on one for rotation but what about a gear on the base of the chute, for the window motor to mesh with? Any certain year make model power window motor to use? And do I get a 2nd power window motor standing on end for raising ànd lowering the top portion of the chute???

If it were me it would be a something like this. Should be weather resistant though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I rigged up for top chute deflectors. Both work great. And they move fast.
I just turn the chutes by hand. That works good for me.

Noel

Attachments

• D3FF42DD-0314-4D39-BDE3-5F074A278C3A.png
    D3FF42DD-0314-4D39-BDE3-5F074A278C3A.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • C807EE5A-6FCD-4E99-9647-14FF8C014069.png
    C807EE5A-6FCD-4E99-9647-14FF8C014069.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
Chute rotation is by the hand control for the tractor seat. Only change the deflector aq couple time a blowing session so can't justify the cost for a bit of convenience. Feel good to get off the seat once in a while anyway. Several different way to control both from the seat if that is the route you chose.

yup. I have a crank for the chute. Just don't like the cable on the drum as came stock with this blower.
On a side note I got it home, got it going, gassed up, fluids topped off, tires full and Armageddon didn't happen. There is about 1-1/2" out there is all, hardly enough to even break out the shovel.
I have seen a couple of different power window motor-turned chute rotator actuator before but don't remember where
I know that somewhere along the way, Ariens must have sold an electrically actuated chute rotator on some snow blower they have built and sold over the years as I remember seeing a replacement "chute rotation motor" from them, somewhere along the way.....
on the open/close of the chute height, if I wasn't "drafted" to take care of a handful of neighbors' drives, I wouldnt need to worry about how high the snow blows.......

Back