Soggy Make A Wish car show start.

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
Just before we got to the Reese Mi park where the show was held it started raining and thunder and lighting as we pulled in the parking lot to be directed to the show parking.

We drove and picked a spot next to a Model A Ford, got parked just as the owner jumped out wth a blue tarp to cover the roof. I jumped out to help himn and learned some thing.

I knew they had wood roof bows but didn't know the roof was chicken wire covered with cow hide. We walked to a gazabo out of the rain and had a good chat about his car.

About 10:00 AM it stopped raining so every one started drying their cars/trucks then started visiting.

1535247695583.jpeg

We got a top 25 plaque.

:D Al

I have tried to find this cars owner to talk to for some time. Finally got to do that yesterday as I helped cover the roof.

He told me that some times in a hard rain the roof will leak at the seams where thre chicken wire and cow hide joins the metal parts. Told me that was how they were back when they were new. He is the second owner of it. A lady in Flint bought it from a Ford dealer on Saginaw street that was bought by the US goverment when they put I 69 hyway thru the area.
Lady never drove the car her self had a driver to do that for her.

I wanted to know about the window wings.

I see this car at many shows in the area and those etched window wings have alway made me wonder about them.
Owner told me yesterday they are stock orginal to the car. He him self has questions about them his self.
Wonders if they were acid etched at the factory or if they were sand blasted etched. He hasn't been able to find any information about them.

I have seen this Willys at several shows starting with Caseville cheese burger fest 2017. I really like it and have lusted over some I have seen around for years.
So yesterday I catch the owner and his wife setting by the truck. We went off on a verbal adventure on restoreing a Willys truck, how easy it would be to convert it from left hand drive to right hand drive and the grill guard.
We must have talked a good 45 minutes.

Has a 4 cylinder Hurricane engine, 5:38 gears but it also has over drive.

I had drove by this group on the way in when it was still sprinkling. They already had their sunshade rain shelter put up and leaning so the water would run off. I just couldn't help my self and stoped and rolled the window down and asked if they thought it was going to rain as a loud crak of thunder split the sky.

Once it stopped raining, I had the car dried off I walked up and talked to them. Like so many others I have seen their cars and trucks at other shows but have never talked to them. this day they only had 3 at the show 2 pick ups and a Ford car.

Both couples were nice people and would laugh in the right places and make a joke back also.
The car is a beutiful one, owner said has a 292 V 8 in it. I was looking at it and told Kare there is a bedroom some where under that mirror lined hood.

I spent most of my time talking to the owner of this F1. They own 2 a red one marked hers and the blue one marked his. The red one wasn't there that day, she said she didn't feel like driving her self.
I touched on the last show I had seen them at, they got angury so I let them say their piece because that one ticked me off also.
The grist is the car owners/driver vote on the top 12 in this case and best in show. Nine members from a car club showed up at this show. Never left there little gathering area and took 8 of the top 12 awards and the best of show.
Really made others at the show mad.

Fellow with the F1 said he was thinking of selling or tradeing his truck for a car that rode beter so he could go farther to shows. We spent a good bit of time on how to keep the pick up and soften the ride. He said over the winter he might see about changing it to coil springs all four corners or to air ride.

Beautiful truck even if it is powered by Chevy.

They also had a 79 Chevy 2500 camper special there.

This is her F1 from last year.

Last edited:
Car shows can be boring as stink for entrants unless there are other activities.
“Power Parker’s” will arrive mAny hours early for prime parking armed with feather dusters. It’s like any hobby, some just getting out to show their ride while other hunting trophies.
Me, I be catching naps between strollsF10E3594-0BC8-47ED-A353-FDB9A3429E93.jpeg

I never find car shows boreing so many people to talk to and hear how, where they found that special car/truck.

That is a lot of Purple.
My daughter who is 8 said it had a big mouth like barney, Barney is purple.
And Yes it is a boy ask my daughter.

Neat truck.
Thank you was my dads, dads dads truck.
How is that
Great grand pa bought it new and used it till he stopped taking cream in to the small local dairy.
Then grand dad started useing it to haul feed from town for the calves.
Then dad just drove it to work in town and back home because of the rich family history.
then I wanted some thing special so when it was given to me I made it into a street rod the whole family loves.

That is the oldest Willys I have ever seen. Where did you find it?
About 15 years ago I was driveing a country road to a job I had never been down. I had been wanting a old car probably a 5 window Ford. When I saw this one back in a weedy fence line. I went on to the job Nand finished it. On the4 way home I stopped at the nearest house. they said it belonged to the house down the road, it was there when we built.
Went to that house and got permission to go look it over. Went back to the house and was told they put it there about 45 years ago when the engine locked up with a rod thru the block. I paid 55 dollars for it Spent around 10 years getting it to look like this. Raiseing a family takes a lot of money and time.
It is a 34 Willys.

A willys with a Hemi.
Wasn't always like that, It once had a Chevy 502 in it. Ran pretty good for the fellow that owned it. He was going through a divorce and needed money so put it up for sale.

I am not a fan of Chevy engines and had this old Hemi and trans so I stuffed it in there.
Even has a 4 speed in it.
Yup came with the engine. I do still race it some at Ubly mostly.

I don't know how you can get bored, if you talk to other people about their pride and joy.

This willys was there also but I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner. I really like th paint.

I never find car shows boreing so many people to talk to and hear how, where they found that special car/truck.

That is a lot of Purple.
My daughter who is 8 said it had a big mouth like barney, Barney is purple.
And Yes it is a boy ask my daughter.

Neat truck.
Thank you was my dads, dads dads truck.
How is that
Great grand pa bought it new and used it till he stopped taking cream in to the small local dairy.
Then grand dad started useing it to haul feed from town for the calves.
Then dad just drove it to work in town and back home because of the rich family history.
then I wanted some thing special so when it was given to me I made it into a street rod the whole family loves.

That is the oldest Willys I have ever seen. Where did you find it?
About 15 years ago I was driveing a country road to a job I had never been down. I had been wanting a old car probably a 5 window Ford. When I saw this one back in a weedy fence line. I went on to the job Nand finished it. On the4 way home I stopped at the nearest house. they said it belonged to the house down the road, it was there when we built.
Went to that house and got permission to go look it over. Went back to the house and was told they put it there about 45 years ago when the engine locked up with a rod thru the block. I paid 55 dollars for it Spent around 10 years getting it to look like this. Raiseing a family takes a lot of money and time.
It is a 34 Willys.

A willys with a Hemi.
Wasn't always like that, It once had a Chevy 502 in it. Ran pretty good for the fellow that owned it. He was going through a divorce and needed money so put it up for sale.

I am not a fan of Chevy engines and had this old Hemi and trans so I stuffed it in there.
Even has a 4 speed in it.
Yup came with the engine. I do still race it some at Ubly mostly.

I don't know how you can get bored, if you talk to other people about their pride and joy.

This willys was there also but I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner. I really like th paint.

For me the passion was always in the build and driving it
I sold this 68 Firebird I owned and drove for 22 years. Got rid of it as soon as I dragged the binder home
I built the binder to handle and ride better than the bird ever did
I only entered the Firebird in one car show back in ‘92 at Duluth Mn and Wolfman Jack presented me with trophy. That was a slice.

54A5C0C5-2199-4850-9AC8-E7F182E00C2A.jpeg

I was only in 1 car show, years ago not by choice, we took my mustang to walk around a show, the guy waved me into a different line, next thing I knew I was parked with all the show cars, they handed me a bag with a bunch of car supplies, a food voucher and thanked me for coming out. we stayed for awhile.

Durant End of summer car show Saturday, first time to this one. Uncle Johns Cider Mill show Sunday, will be our first time to show there. Rained in thr morning last year so we didn't take our car, I drove my truck and walked around.

Back