Solar powered garden tractor

Pretty cool... I don't like mowing on cloudy ☁ days either.. :thumbs:

Those two panels are similar to what I have on top of my camper, 170W. I've done these calcs for the camper not too long ago, however based on no wiring losses and clean direct sun. (I am no expert here) GE tractor is on a 36VDC system.

Lets say for argument sake, they are 150W panels for both. That will pump out 4.2A charging amps per hour, and on a 4 hour direct sun day will give 16AH to batteries. 8 hours would be 33AH.

DH1 can give a better # here, but did a wiki on GE E15 tractor specs, the tractor drive plus mower together take 1440W but at 36VDC which is 40AH per hour. So, to run tractor and mower for 1 hour, you would need 10 hours of sun to charge it back up.

Living off the grid...that is very doable!!! Need to speed things up, add more panels say portable ones at a charging station from Amazon. Pretty easy to throw down 600W of panels and a controller these days. If you had 600W of panels at your charging station, you'd have 16.6AH at 36VDC, you'd have that thing charged up in 2.5 hours theoretically.

When the zombies come, I think I need a E15!!!

Back