Solved a baffling carb float problem.

ol' stonebreaker

Tractorologist
A friend brought me B&S powered pressure washer that the carb was leaking gas. Pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning and the float needle still leaked. OK, got new needle and seat, still leaking. For diagnosis I removed the carb, removed the bowl and reconnected it to the fuel hose with it upside down and no leakage. reinstalled the bowl and turned over and it leaked. Today I fashioned a small tab from some thin aluminum and positioned it between the float tab and the needle stem and had no leakage. Started it up and it runs fine with no evidence of leaness. Before I did this I couldn't see any point the float was contacting the carb body so this is still a mystery to me as to the cause. This is the first time I've encountered this kind of problem and with luck found a cheap solution. If it isn't raining tomorrow I'll hook the garden hose up to it and see how it does under load.
Mike

A friend brought me B&S powered pressure washer that the carb was leaking gas. Pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning and the float needle still leaked. OK, got new needle and seat, still leaking. For diagnosis I removed the carb, removed the bowl and reconnected it to the fuel hose with it upside down and no leakage. reinstalled the bowl and turned over and it leaked. Today I fashioned a small tab from some thin aluminum and positioned it between the float tab and the needle stem and had no leakage. Started it up and it runs fine with no evidence of leaness. Before I did this I couldn't see any point the float was contacting the carb body so this is still a mystery to me as to the cause. This is the first time I've encountered this kind of problem and with luck found a cheap solution. If it isn't raining tomorrow I'll hook the garden hose up to it and see how it does under load.
Mike

Is it one of those needles with the spring where it attaches to the float? I've never liked that design and don't know why it is being done. If your shim works, that's what counts!

DAC

I forgot about the little hairpin spring referred to. I was thinking of the coil spring mounted internally in the needle. Yes, chieffan, you're right about that one.
Mike

Back