Some good news about the potato crop.

Noel, do you have anything like an Ag Extension Agent up there? We have them in every county of every state here and they can be a great resource to help with what you can and can't do in your area to help with all the insect problems you have.

Just a thought that you might try.

Last edited:
wire worms, which come from the click beetle, are a real scourge here. They are really attracted to the roots of crabgrass, and will eat on anything under the ground, I.E., tators, and even come thru the surface after melons, tomato, or other thing that touch the surface. Best way to control the worm, is deep plowing, and keeping any grass out of the field during the growing season. I also found an off the shelf spray, that kills beetles, which helps slow them down a bunch. I been digging tators in the last week or so, not many bite holes to them, but ive seen several of the adults in the ground. Last yr we lost a lot of onions to bites, no holes but just enough to make the onions unattractive, to a buyer. .

There are a few wire worms here, mostly damaging the onions and ground touching tomatoes, and as Lauber1 mentioned, melons. Right now my main pest is a very wiley pocket gopher. The busy little wretch is pushing dirt piles up in my lawn and has invaded one end of the garden.... I'm thinking he has a wife and children, there are so many new dirt piles. So far he has evaded my tunnel traps, but I'll get him, :mad: !!

Hehe, people who are trying to get gophers and the like, always remind me of the show, Caddy Shack, where the grounds fella, Bill Murray, blows up most of the golf course trying to get the rodent, and never did. Funny show.

Noel

There are a few wire worms here, mostly damaging the onions and ground touching tomatoes, and as Lauber1 mentioned, melons. Right now my main pest is a very wiley pocket gopher. The busy little wretch is pushing dirt piles up in my lawn and has invaded one end of the garden.... I'm thinking he has a wife and children, there are so many new dirt piles. So far he has evaded my tunnel traps, but I'll get him, :mad: !!
Maybe it's time to call in the B-52's! They'll wipe the suckers out!

Back