Spray Welding Bearing Journals

When I worked at the steel foundry they had a company come and spray weld up bearing journals on some of the mill rolls that were undersize.

When I worked at the steel foundry they had a company come and spray weld up bearing journals on some of the mill rolls that were undersize.
They did submerged arc on our rolls to build them up at the steel mill that I worked at, that was interesting to see.

Reading mags like hemmings motor news and some other automotive related mags, (haven't done that in several years) they used to advertise a spray weld process and they showed a bare truck cab on some sawhorses with a Swiss cheese cowl and firewall. Showed them spray welding the cowl and filling out the holes. Looked cool
The ad was for a company in Oregon where, for a measly 20 grand, they would sell you a version of their spray weld franchise, the price includes hotel room and training at their facility for a week then off you go to make your fortune.

Talking about welding, I saw an add somewhere about a welding stick that can be used with a regular blow torch, almost like soldering.. If this is true, I would like to try it on some seat pan cracks.

@larrybl ,

It's called flame welding "Brazing" and it's similar to soldering. You can for weld just about any non-ferrous or ferrous material in closing aluminum. It's really art when you figure out what preheat and post heat you need along with what flux and filler rod you need to use.

As far as seat pans go, I've used good ole metal wire coat hangers and even 6011 1/16" welding rods with the flux still on them.

@larrybl ,

It's called flame welding "Brazing" and it's similar to soldering. You can for weld just about any non-ferrous or ferrous material in closing aluminum. It's really art when you figure out what preheat and post heat you need along with what flux and filler rod you need to use.

As far as seat pans go, I've used good ole metal wire coat hangers and even 6011 1/16" welding rods with the flux still on them.
No welder here, was looking at an alternative. JB may be an option, but was looking for something better without spending $$$ and havind a huge learning curve.

Talking about welding, I saw an add somewhere about a welding stick that can be used with a regular blow torch, almost like soldering.. If this is true, I would like to try it on some seat pan cracks.
Remember when repairing cracks always drill a hole at the end of each crack before repairing. This will prevent the crack from spreading.

I'll get to meet Abom next Saturday! Yes I know to drill small holes. I'll tackle that job when I get to it. Found another welding place to take it.

Back