St Paddys Day Plowing

NewHolland

Tractorologist
Time to make everyone jealous, even though I waited a week to post this haha. So a coworker had seen my Facebook of me sitting on a tractor and asked if I knew anyone that could plow a garden for him. Of course my eyes lit up and I agreed to do it.... for my enjoyment. Besides, the Power King 1614 has never had a true shake down since I resurrected it from the weeds last year, and I need it to plow with this year, since I break my plow tractors LOL.

He advertised a hill down to the garden where he had a lower patch that has been a garden to turn dirt, as well as an upper patch to break ground for the first time for his potato patch. What he failed to mention was I would be plowing a hillside all afternoon lol. Did I mention I like a challenge?

So my Power King has new rear wheels and tires, but zero weight, so the night before I loaded 5 gallons of washer fluid in each rear tire (took three washer fluid showers during tire burps lol). I recall KennyP doing this with self burping tire filling methods, but I didn't have that kind of time lol.

So plow setup was next. I knew I was too light to attempt a 12", was breaking new ground, and went thru one 14 hp Kohler governor already with a 12" plow. So it was settled, I hooked up a 10" sleeve hitch plow on a brinly A frame and sleeve adapter I bought on ebay. So off to plow we went, where I continued to cuss myself for being unprepared for this lol.

The first few passes went poorly as I had to reduce my cut depth until it felt to me like something was wrong with my setup. After about 8 passes in the lower garden I went up to the potatoe patch, where everything seemingly fell into place. However, there was rough patches ahead as the end of each furrow was dictated by wet clay and a sudden shift in the front of the tractor. The joke of the day was that it was all I could do to say on fir a full 8 seconds in this rodeo lol.

At the end of the day I learned a few things needed to upgrade my setup. More weight is needed to stay off the left brake pedal. There is too much vertical flex between plow and A-frame, and tri-ribs up front is a must.

I will be taking another clever trick from KennyP and converting my extra 10" sleeve plow to mount on one of my 12" plow A-frames. I recall from using his one time at Ball Hollow that it worked quite slick. Ok, hitting post on this, the next post will be pictures.

Last edited:
Time to make everyone jealous, even though I waited a week to post this haha. So a coworker had seen my Facebook of me sitting on a tractor and asked if I knew anyone that could plow a garden for him. Of course my eyes lit up and I agreed to do it.... for my enjoyment. Besides, the Power King 1614 has never had a true shake down since I resurrected it from the weeds last year, and I need it to plow with this year, since I break my plow tractors LOL.

He advertised a hill down to the garden where he had a lower patch that has been a garden to turn dirt, as well as an upper patch to break ground for the first time for his potato patch. What he failed to mention was I would be plowing a hillside all afternoon lol. Did I mention I like a challenge?

So my Power King has new rear wheels and tires, but zero weight, so the night before I loaded 5 gallons of washer fluid in each rear tire (took three washer fluid showers during tire burps lol). I recall KennyP doing this with self burping tire filling methods, but I didn't have that kind of time lol.

So plow setup was next. I knew I was too light to attempt a 12", was breaking new ground, and went thru one 14 hp Kohler governor already with a 12" plow. So it was settled, I hooked up a 10" sleeve hitch plow on a brinly A frame and sleeve adapter I bought on ebay. So off to plow we went, where I continued to cuss myself for being unprepared for this lol.

The first few passes went poorly as I had to reduce my cut depth until it felt to me like something was wrong with my setup. After about 8 passes in the lower garden I went up to the potatoe patch, where everything seemingly fell into place. However, there was rough patches ahead as the end of each furrow was dictated by wet clay and a sudden shift in the front of the tractor. The joke of the day was that it was all I could do to say on fir a full 8 seconds in this rodeo lol.

At the end of the day I learned a few things needed to upgrade my setup. More weight is needed to stay off the left brake pedal. There is too much vertical flex between plow and A-frame, and tri-ribs up front is a must.

I will be taking another clever trick from KennyP and converting my extra 10" sleeve plow to mount on one of my 12" plow A-frames. I recall from using his one time at Ball Hollow that it worked quite slick. Ok, hitting post on this, the next post will be pictures.
Don't know how I missed this until now. I enjoyed your plowing description it kind of puts the reader in the seat. I agree tri ribs are a must in the dirt. What do you mean "too much vertical flex between the plow & A frame. I'm assuming your meaning the flex where your plows sleeve hitch is connected to the draw bar at the bottom of the A frame. I just finished building a 3 point hitch for my MTD 990. I have a plow with a sleeve hitch & was thinking the best setup would be to convert the plow to 3 point. Nice job on the plowing. I'ts always an adventure plowing new areas especially for someone else.

Back