Started work on the 1950 Economy

MNGB

Tractorologist
I picked this tractor up last May its pretty much original it has a Wisconsin engine that has a gear starter and an autolite generator (both 6 volt) plus its equipped with factory Hydraulics. The hydraulic system is a self-contained unit mfg by Husco, I've been working on the hyd control linkages replacing worn pins etc getting the slop out and cleaned up and paint the draw bar lift parts that's coming together
Does anyone have any experience with the Husco system I'm wondering how much fluid it holds and or how full to fill the unit

HPIM1664.JPGHPIM1677.JPGHPIM1408.JPGHPIM1674.JPG

Got a little more done on the Economy this morning got the belt tightener for the Hyd unit installed and the belt tightened, got hydraulic control lever reassembled added 2 qts of hyd oil to the system got the seat off and cleaned up the tubes that slide down on the 1"+ round mounts so now it moves easily found a couple of old valve springs and installed them in the seat tubes so now there is some spring action for the seat. Started the engine this morning and tried the hydraulics it worked but discovered a leak at the cylinder its a simple one way cylinder and its leaking at the welded mount end so will have to remove it and check it out
HPIM1410.JPGHPIM1412.JPGHPIM1413.JPG

Have been working on the Economy got one of the rear wheels cleaned up the rust was only surface rust and it cleaned up good primed and painted it the other one is rusted out at the valve stem area took it over to my friends shop and he got the tire off so Wednesday got a patch for the hole welded in place them today got it ground down smooth and bondoed the outside hole and removed the rust this rim had some deeper rust but got it clean and primed so it will be ready to have the tire mounted next week.
Its coming together. We are going to get hit with a double whamo of a winter storm so looks like this week will be spent plowing snow and if we get the 10+ inches it'll be a job for the F-250
HPIM1409.JPGHPIM1425.JPGHPIM1426.JPGHPIM1427.JPGHPIM1429.JPGHPIM1430.JPGHPIM1432.JPGHPIM1434.JPG

how are you making out with the storm Chris,
It's been kind of a fizzle. Like you a couple of inches and a little ice. The kids drove out from Vancouver WA. for Thanksgiving and left yesterday because of the weather. Took the southern route home I-80 and are now stuck in Cheyenne WY because all the highways are closed. I'm beginning to wonder if they are going to make it to work on Monday.

It's been kind of a fizzle. Like you a couple of inches and a little ice. The kids drove out from Vancouver WA. for Thanksgiving and left yesterday because of the weather. Took the southern route home I-80 and are now stuck in Cheyenne WY because all the highways are closed. I'm beginning to wonder if they are going to make it to work on Monday.
Ya I don't if one route is better than the other when going thur the Rockies my daughter and famialy went to Duluth and I think its still snowing and blowing there thay just may not get back until Monday

This Economy has a Wisconsin AEHS engine 7.5 hp 23 CID when I got it the carb had been replaced with one off a Wisconsin AENL the carbs are very different and this AEH would start and run it could not be made to idle below 2100 /2300 R's no matter what I tried so a good guy came to my rescue he overhauled and provided me with a like new carb for the AEHS. The carb came on Saturday and as soon as I looked at I could see why the engine would not idle with the other carb, the AEHS carb a Stromberg L45-B2 has a throat - throttle plate that is 29/32 and AENL carb has a 1" throat throttle plate while this doesn't sound like much it is a big deal when it comes to idle opening of the throttle. Anyway today I got busy and installed the new carb had to rework the gas line and rig the throttle cable, turned the gas on and tried starting the engine it started up and runs so nice idles very nice and revs up like it should. So now its to get the air cleaner installed and tidy up the magneto kill wire and the throttle cable

HPIM1441.JPGHPIM1442.JPGHPIM1443.JPG

Last edited:
Got some more completed on the Economy today went over to my brother and got a rim nut for the inner tube then took the repaired rim and tube over to my friend and he mounted the tire so tomorrow morning I'll pick it up and I can get busy and install the rear tires that will be great cause then I can drive it outside for a little fun drive, this morning got the freshly painted air cleaner assy installed on the engine secured the magneto switch wire, got the throttle cable lined up better and got the tension set on the pivot bolt so the throttle stays were its placed got the RH owner added foot rest reinstalled using common bolts instead of 3/8 5/16 and 1/4" in varying lengths with many washers removed the LH one cleaned it up and primed the mount brackets, sanded the 1" rough cut Oak foot rest board and coated it with boiled linseed oil it will be ready to install in the afternoon

HPIM1444.JPGHPIM1445.JPGHPIM1446.JPG

Okay got the rear wheel installed the old gal looks better with the 8.3 X 24 tires vs the 6 x 24's did some small finishing things on the tractor then decided it need some fresh air so I ran it out side for some pictures and some driving it drives good nice old tractor

HPIM1447.JPGHPIM1448.JPGHPIM1449.JPGHPIM1450.JPGHPIM1452.JPGHPIM1453.JPG

Well have been doing little things on the Economy repaired the left brake the band was broken got is apart someone had tried to weld it looked like pigeon dropping on it ground it down and gas welded the pivot point on the cam assy was froze up and I thing instead of pivoting it was bending the band got it work as it should and reinstalled and it now has brakes on both sides, when I drove it around I noticed it didn't as it should got to looking at the front wheel RH was straight the LH was looking north so got the tie rod off and got one of the set screws to come out other one stripped the Allen head out these tie rods are made using Ford Model A tie rods that have been shortened and a tube in the middle with set screws to adjust the length, and these out front of the tractor so end up being a bumper also so getting the tie rod out of the tube was fun heated it cherry red a couple of time and it finally moved and with lots of pulling and twisting it came out cleaned up the bore and the rod finally got it slide in and out put on the tractor set the tow-in to 1/4" the removeed it and painted the tie rod and installed it for good Repaired the holes in the flywheel shroud with a patch over the bad area

HPIM1459.JPGHPIM1460.JPG

Back