Suggestions for removing bamboo?

My son has the same stuff. It’s nasty and seems to grow inches every day. It was growing over our wood pile. So I cut it back about three weeks ago. Need to get at it again.

Noel

Attachments

• 7C975FAF-40FA-46B1-BEEA-8B687BF334F9.jpeg
    7C975FAF-40FA-46B1-BEEA-8B687BF334F9.jpeg
    491.8 KB · Views: 8
Cut it off and put a bit of "Tordon" on the stub. Made mainly for trees but will kill out any kind of root spreading plant. Don't get to close to the neighbors though or you may kill off all of theirs. I had an invasion root issue from Poplar trees. Cut the new sprig off and drop of Tordon. Now I have a row of dead Poplar trees to take down.

Cut it off and put a bit of "Tordon" on the stub. Made mainly for trees but will kill out any kind of root spreading plant. Don't get to close to the neighbors though or you may kill off all of theirs. I had an invasion root issue from Poplar trees. Cut the new sprig off and drop of Tordon. Now I have a row of dead Poplar trees to take down.
Where do you get that stuff from? I've never heard of it before, but would like to try it out.
I don't want to be in the same situation as the people in California right now. And this bamboo, once it drys out is just a big torch waiting to be lit.
Thanks for the tip.

Rick

In this area any farm & home type store has it on the shelf. Usually in qt. bottles. Amazon has it, bit pricey $27 a qt. Don't think they ship to Canada though. Listing says NOT FOR Ca;ny. so assume they mean Canada.

A friend had a lot of bamboo in her yard at one point. The stuff took over everything, including her neighbors yard. After several years of trying to fight it the neighbor finally had both yards dug up and new dirt put in it. The bamboo started coming back up in her house vents. We pulled it and sprayed it and tried everything we could think of. Finally I poured used motor oil on it. It never came back. I don't necessary recommend that method for large areas though.

Put salt on the ground where you don't want it to grow. It will leach down into the ground. Don't be frugal with the stuff as it's cheap and the more the better. I'm talking the 40 or 50 lb bags of softener salt. I changed water softener's and needed a place to dump the brine tank. Poured it around the propane tank and nothing grew there for years.
My wife has been a lover of red trees and shrubs. So I planted Sumac Hedge around part of the yard. That stuff spreads by the root like Creeping Jenny. This summer I used 2-4-D to contain it and it seems to have worked quite well. Might work on Bamboo also.

In this area any farm & home type store has it on the shelf. Usually in qt. bottles. Amazon has it, bit pricey $27 a qt. Don't think they ship to Canada though. Listing says NOT FOR Ca;ny. so assume they mean Canada.
I'm down here just 25 miles north of the Mexican border in Arizona. About as far from Canada as you can get in the US, unless you go to Florida or Texas.
To pinpoint it, I'm 24 miles south southwest of Tombstone, 1 mile west of the San Pedro river.
A friend had a lot of bamboo in her yard at one point. The stuff took over everything, including her neighbors yard. After several years of trying to fight it the neighbor finally had both yards dug up and new dirt put in it. The bamboo started coming back up in her house vents. We pulled it and sprayed it and tried everything we could think of. Finally I poured used motor oil on it. It never came back. I don't necessary recommend that method for large areas though.

Yeah, I thought about using oil, but I have a well that 7 households depend on, so that's out as an option.
I'll try checking with the local tractor supply and other DIY stores for that Tordon. Hope they have heard of it.
We used to use creosote, but that's been banned for years now.
Thanks for the tips.

Rick

We have bamboo that is making it's way onto our property from the neighbors property which is basically a fenced in swamp area for preservation. I wasn't sure if anyone had any ideas to get rid of it completely other than making sure you get all of the roots which can be pretty difficult to do.
Sounds like you need to spray something on the neighbors!

Thanks for the tip on the Tordon, I have some black locust stumps that keep sprouting!

Well I checked who has this stuff, and Walmart is the only company that I have around here that deals with it.
It looks like I have to order it as it's not stocked in-store.

Let me ask this, can it be used safely around a well? This stuff is all around the well house.
And if it's not, then if I were to use salt, has anyone had any problems with it around a well? I'd hate to be drinking saltwater one day.

Unless you have several layers of clay between the surface and the water table anything you spread on the ground is going to end up in the water eventually. I would imagine that the salt would cause the least problem. They spread millions of tons of the stuff on the highways every year so it must not be too harmful to the environment.
Try it on a small area to see if it's going to be effective on the Bamboo and go from there.

Last edited:
That's a good idea. I'll try that and see what happens. And that's a good point about the salt use elsewhere too.
I know there's clay layers down there. How many is unknown, but for sure at least one. Hit it every time I dig a hole somewhere.
Thanks for the idea.

Rick

Back