technology

Jazz

Tractorologist
I was at car show,,no pics and a '37 Dodge coupe caught my eye. Looked rough, interior worn and no gauges, only a tablet leaning against dash. The owner gave me the run down...the car was all '05 Escalade below the sheetmetal! The tablet was connected by bluetooth to all sensors/gauges. Owner pointed out the $40 tablet way cheaper than set of gauges....Way out of my league for sure

I went to a pretty big cruise night last night and was disgusted by all the "LS swap" I saw. One after another. All brands makes and models of vehicle. 2 other things that aggravated me was how many of the vehicles that were "slammed to the ground" about half of which were square body Chevy trucks. Way overdone. Especially the ones that are so low you can't see any rim or hardly any tire.
and how many vehicles there weren't "classics", ones that any schmuck with a check book can walk into any dealership tomorrow and drive out in. Those don't belong at a show with cars that have been restored from years ago.
Saw 1 67-ish Fairlane with a beautiful paint job and a "coyote" in it. Would have been a nicer car with a 289 or a 351w under the hood.
It always bothered me the number of people who put sooo much time and effort in an otherwise beautiful car and stuff a Chevy motor in other brands of chassis. Keep. Ford a Ford, or keep a Jeep a Jeep. Or a Buick or a Merc, I was never into these "cross breeds". And I'm not just picking on Chevy here.xuz there's a lot of old Chevys that I like the looks of and wish they'd bring back.

One I thought was funny was a 68 Chevy van with the engine in the way back, which was a 460 Ford. Headers out the side panels even. A Ford engine in a Chevy for once.

I have to agree also. I'm not a big fan of sticking an LS in everything either. And also think that brands should have same brand engines in them. If I wanted to drive something with an LS, I drive the '06 Denali. My other trucks all are old technology with carbs and such. It does bother me a little that someone swapped a Chevy 6 banger into my '55 GMC at some point before I got it. The GMC 248 it should have was replaced with a mid '60's Chevy 230. Oh well it ain't an LS at least, LOL!

DAC

LS swaps have become a thing in a lot of car scenes. Even the BMW and Japanese brand car guys are LS swapping.

cheap and easy. Plus you can walk into any auto parts store and get the parts you need to fix it.

But what about conversion mounts, conversion radiators conversion driveshafts not to mention the wiring and such? None of that is free especially if going into a non GM whatever
Definitely takes away from the "cheapness" of it all.

But what about conversion mounts, conversion radiators conversion driveshafts not to mention the wiring and such? None of that is free especially if going into a non GM whatever

If you get on YouTube, watch the channel
The driveway engineer.
He goes through videos to show how to do cheap LS swaps. He is currently building a 5.3l from parts he just picked up off the ground in junkyards, didn't take a single tool with him.
It can be done cheap, even wiring/computer, just have to do the research and learn.

Import performance engine (s52, sr20, 1jz, 2nd) you are looking at 7500 to 10,000 just to get a junk yard engine

Brand new GM performance LS3 is 8500. Junk yard LS3 even less for a budget build.

another common one now is the K24a2 Honda engine. Easy to get 350 to 400 wheel HP out of them and still be cheaper than rebuilding the factory engine.

I know you guys don’t like import stuff but this turbo LS3 build in a Nissan S13 hatch is very nice and half the cost to build the proper SR for it.

3B445A33-6DDD-4BC3-9872-40081C09483F.png

Back