The first car I had but sold and should have kept.

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
where I worked in 1965 one of my bosses sold me a 1957 Desota 2dr. ht. push buttons on the dash and a v8 engine.
He sold it saying he could not get a title for it, thought I might find some thing to put the motor in where I lived then.

Nice car great ride and quick. I also could not get a title for it but then I was really young then.

I kept it and drove it around the upper michigan back roads and some times borrowing the plate off my daily driver and cruise town but not often, I had a lead weighted foot back then and was hard to control it.
1597338770109.png

Al

I had a 68 Beetle. Painted it medium blue metallic. Dechromed it. Aluminum door panels. Built an engine with big jugs and a Weber. Stinger exhaust straight out the back. Had a lot of fun with that car. Same as you froze my rear off in the winter. Everyone should have had a Bug at some point as a kid.

I had a girlfriend with a 1100 VW. I drove it once and hated it. Seat was upright like a kitchen chair. The gearshift was pretty imprecise and it was a pain to start out up a hill. I would tell her that my Harley had a bigger engine.

I had a friend who had a love affair with a VW Bettle. starter was bad and we were on the poor side then so he would jack the car up place it in gear and spin the tire to start it. Once running he would shift to netural then let the jack down.

We used to run old logging roads and fire trails in the early spring with it. Be running along and a big snow drift of unmelted snow would be across the trail. build up some speed and hit the drift. 99 times out of 100 that bug would make it across we felt by slideing ion the belly pan.

Al

I had 67 Beatle, 1600 deluxe, was dark green. Heat was great on the highway, but not so good in town. Was my second car. First car was a 64 Pontiac, 4 door, 283 power glide.

Hehe. No pictures of those !!!!!

Noel

1978 Rustang fastback, which was actually a hatchback. 6 cylinder 4 speed. Brushed aluminum dash - although it was actually plastic - most had wood grain dash. Factory tach. with full gauges, and darn good stereo and air-co. It was no speed demon but if I bounced it twice it'd pop a good wheelie and ride a ways looking at the sky. If I kept my foot out of the 2 barrel carb. it'd get 27 miles per gallon. Yes, a 2 barrel on a V6. American racing Golden Nugget wheels with 60 series tires all the way around were on it when I bought it. Bought it for $170 wrecked, and a second parts car for $70 that had all the needed parts. Drove/severely abused it for one year, and sold it for $1000 once I got my 1970 Chevelle going. The $1000 was enough to pay for the entire expenses incurred for the cars themselves, parts, maintenance, insurance, paint, reupholstered part of the drivers seat, 2 Careless and Imprudent tickets, and two back tires cause I burned the first pair down to the cord. The only thing not covered and "out of pocket" was the gasoline itself.
One Friday night our high school football team was playing. A buddy bet me my stereo wouldn't drown out the loud speakers at the stadium. I pulled up in the alley behind the stadium, opened the hatchback and turned the Sansui speakers around to shoot out the back, and proceeded to drown out the P/A system. Me winning that bet almost got me arrested. :cool:
rustang.jpg

A couple that I wish I still had; 1969 Ford F250 that was my grandfathers that I ended up buying, I do not have a picture of the truck but this truck looks identical except for the yellow fog lights mine did not have. 390 engine and manual trans, no power steering, no power brakes, no a/c. 7192628746_e6a82f140e.jpg 1952 Ford F2 w/flathead v8 IMAG00391.jpg

Back