The John Deere GT225 died

cjet69

Tractorologist
About a week ago Dad was mowing with the GT225 and just as he was parking it it started missing, popping, and backfired a couple times. When I went to use it 3-4 days later it wouldn't start. I pulled the plug wire to check for spark and got nothing for 4-5 seconds and then it started sparking again. Put the plug wire on and mowed a small area with no problem. Then yesterday I mowed long enough to fill the bagger and it started running bad again, coughed, backfired, and died. No spark at all now no matter how long I crank it. I'm pretty sure the coil went, but I should test it first. The tractor is up on the farm in the orchard, so I need to get a trailer and bring it to the shop.

Thanks, Kenny. I found my manual on the old computer, and they show the same procedure and ohm values. I checked the ohms on my coil and got 13.8k for a reading. The manual says between 7,900 to 18,400 ohms is good. So, by this test I should be good but still no spark.

I have another GT225 that had a very similar problem to this one. It would run fine for a while and quit. After sitting for a bit it would fire back up and run fine. Finally I changed the coil and its run fine ever since. When you have an intermittent problem you never know if your testing a working or non-working coil. I think I will try a different coil and see what happens.

Glad you got it fixed. Nice looking tractor. Don’t you just love retrieving these things when they are far away. It’s good to have a little trailer like you got for towing.

It wasn't too far to go, just back thru the woodlot where our orchard is located. Shot a short time lapse driving the Gator back. The trailer was built for hauling the hay tedder, but also works for GT transport.

GOPR2639-m.JPGGOPR2640-m.JPG

Back