The new project: fabricating a PK mower deck hitch

For others following this, in the past I've been able to get past this problem using a cheap carbide masonry drill bit. Glad you had another option.
I had never heard anyone doing that Chris. One day like Gary I wasted three bits trying to get a pilot hole started. I got a carbide bit out and was surprised how it worked.

You should have let me send you the junk front Simplicity axel that I wanted to give you but then you would have to life the deck in the back.
Thanks Rad, this worked out great got the hitch installed this AM am now working on thw on-off lever getting the bend angle right, was working on it this morning but was in to much of a hurry not getting the bend right was going to much either way

20230427_094527.jpg20230427_094543.jpg20230427_094551.jpg20230427_094602.jpg20230427_094607.jpg

Last edited:
got the on-off lever bends close just need to do some fine tweaking did a test run and found the tension spring I used wasn't strong enough so stole one for an extra mule drive I have and it works good now
got the on-off lever bends close just need to do some fine tweaking did a test run and found the tension spring I used wasn't strong enough so stole one for an extra mule drive I have and it works good now
You definitely won’t have any center spindle wear on that rig unlike most Simplicity’s. The belts coming off the center spindle gets a lot of downward pressure wearing these out. Nice job Gary!

Today I finished tweaking the on-off control lever its working good now so got it painted this afternoon, that pretty much finish's up the hitch assembly, as a littled added upgrade I removed the abused steering column and fabricated a new one out some exhaust tubing the top bearing fit inperfectly but the botton end needed to be expanded a small amount but my pipe expander wad just a bit to large so I used the Oxy-acet torch got it to enlarge to fit over the steering GB and that is also in the paint room

The hitch is finished started the tractor and tried using the on-off lever with my foot from the seat and it worked really good I'm very pleased with how this project turned out so now it to wait for it to warm up and get the grass growing, steering column turned out good also

20230429_092659.jpg20230429_092702.jpg20230429_092707.jpg20230429_092722.jpg20230429_092642.jpg

Last edited:
Back