Thinking of getting a bigger tractor

Just my 2 cents worth, I think you're makin the right move. Wait for the right one.
Not that it makes me any kind of expert, but when I saw "Boats and Tractors", I raised an
eyebrow.
I spent the last 33 years of my life moving boats. Had all kinds of different
equipment, moving boats up to 25 ton.

P9090235.JPG

I did have a DB 990A, which ran
flawlessly other than it lost the 3pt hydraulics in the early years, so I adapted a
cylinder which was powered off aux circuit. Worked fine. At one point I took the
bucket off and fabricated up a draw bar. That was nice until you wanted the bucket.
Eventually we built a yard dog that had hydraulic pintle on front, and you sat sideways
so you didn't have to strain your neck. A marina operator spends 1/2 his life going
backwards.

P1010180.JPGP1010182.JPG

Looking at your badge, I assume you're from Halifax. My nephew is out there working
for the navy on Canada's boat. He knows his way around boats if you need a worker.

You might want to think about a skidsteer. If you don't mind destroying the yard.

floater must be in the maritimes somewhere I know I seen that DB listed in Newport. It's probably worth the $1000 but I wouldn't expect to make a runner out of er. 8000lbs isn't a real big boat. Something the size of that DB might be alright moving around the yard. My not into boats much but my uncle is. I'll post some pics tomorrow if I think of it. Phone is dead at the moment.

Just my 2 cents worth, I think you're makin the right move. Wait for the right one.
Not that it makes me any kind of expert, but when I saw "Boats and Tractors", I raised an
eyebrow.
I spent the last 33 years of my life moving boats. Had all kinds of different
equipment, moving boats up to 25 ton.

View attachment 21109

I did have a DB 990A, which ran
flawlessly other than it lost the 3pt hydraulics in the early years, so I adapted a
cylinder which was powered off aux circuit. Worked fine. At one point I took the
bucket off and fabricated up a draw bar. That was nice until you wanted the bucket.
Eventually we built a yard dog that had hydraulic pintle on front, and you sat sideways
so you didn't have to strain your neck. A marina operator spends 1/2 his life going
backwards.

View attachment 21110View attachment 21111

Looking at your badge, I assume you're from Halifax. My nephew is out there working
for the navy on Canada's boat. He knows his way around boats if you need a worker.

You might want to think about a skidsteer. If you don't mind destroying the yard.
Boner! lol
The little machine I have is perfect. Not as nice as a travelift, but all my boats are on trailers...that's part of the package when I tire of them and sell them. It has 4 wheel steer and front hydraulics to all I need is some counterweight and I'm good to 1200lb tongue weight, which is more than I'd ever deal with. I thought about a skidsteer last year but I have to cross lawn to get at most of my parking spots. I wish I had a spare set of wheels with balloon slicks on them for the Honda.
I worked for the navy up until 3 years ago. FMF Cape Scott at HMC Halifax Dockyard. It's the repair and maintenance facility for our modest east coast fleet. I'm a landlocked sailor though...Shubenacadie Grand Lake.

Last edited:
Back