Tilling with the PK

MNGB

Tractorologist
Just about every Saturday my Grandson comes over and helps me mow the runway, he likes mowing and likes driving his "B" Farmall but we have had no rain for 2+ weeks and the runway didn't need mowing, so instead of mowing I had him help with tilling the garden using the Power King. He's operated the 2 hydro PK's but hasn't do much with the manual trans PK's so I figured this would be a idea time for him to learn how to hitch up the 3 pt tiller get it running and learn how the dual transmission work on the Power King. Well he had no problems but was surprised at how slow 1st gear and 1st gear in the 2nd transmission is. It was terrible dry but that doesn't seem to stop the lambsquarter weeds from growing. Got done so its kind of black/brown at least the weeds are turned under for the time being

20230603_135050.jpg20230603_135058.jpg20230603_135117.jpg20230603_135122.jpg

Last edited:
Gary! It's pretty crazy how much snow you had compared to how dry it is!
We are in the same situation. A lot of snow and almost no runoff.
Gary I use one of those same type tow behind tillers. I will admit that for years I thought those things kind of looked like a joke. Let me be the first to admit that they are not. I have come to really like them and use it a lot. All my rows are spaced so I can till between them with one. Replaced the Tecumseh with a Predator 8 hp engine and it works like a charm.

We are in the same situation. A lot of snow and almost no runoff.
Gary I use one of those same type tow behind tillers. I will admit that for years I thought those things kind of looked like a joke. Let me be the first to admit that they are not. I have come to really like them and use it a lot. All my rows gare spaced so I can till between them with one. Replaced the Tecumseh with a Predator 8 hp engine and it works like a charm.
Hi Chris yes those old Sears rotospaders were / are good tough tillers this one started life as a walk behind I added tines a 3 pt hitch and a Predator and have been tilling with it for years

What walk behind tiller conversions I have seen work good. I think the weight of the engine over the tines help make them work well. My rear mount tiller on my Simplicity 7117H works good but because of the hydraulic cable lift there is not much down force. One of the guys at the tractor show had a solid piece of 3” bar stock on the bottom rear of his Simplicity tiller. He said it made a big difference.

Attachments

• 7BC84FF2-673D-4C39-9C71-09329DDACEA7.jpeg
    7BC84FF2-673D-4C39-9C71-09329DDACEA7.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 8
Back