Time to update my Linux Distro

Ducky

Ducky
Been running Linux Mint 19.3 for a couple of years now. I decide I would update to 20.1 Ulyssa. This version has support now till 2025. I have my /Home partition on a second drive so I did a complete install to freshen things up.

All when well and then we reinstalled a few programs that I use that do not come with Mint. I use the Cinnamon Desktop.

Been thinking about doing mine. Just not sure what it would mess up.

I have Linux on one system down in the basement. Not much heat down there so haven't turned it on all winter. 50 is a bit chilly for stiff fingers to start with. Like Kenny, not sure what all would be messed up if I switched this system over.

Should not mess anything up. Just be sure to backup your "/Home folder" so you can replace it if it is on the same drive as the operating system. You will also have to reinstall any of your programs that are not included with Mint.
19.3 still has LTS till 2023 so if it is working this is not critical. 20.1 does seem to be a bit speedier.

Should not mess anything up. Just be sure to backup your "/Home folder" so you can replace it if it is on the same drive as the operating system. You will also have to reinstall any of your programs that are not included with Mint.
19.3 still has LTS till 2023 so if it is working this is not critical. 20.1 does seem to be a bit speedier.
Thanks Don! I may look into that before long.

Key word there is "should". Reinstalling all the programs plus the data connected with each one could be a real issue. Where I have the other system with only Linus Mint on it with Firefox as the browser I think I will leave it that way. Got the whole system set up complete for $150 and it is a good system. Don't know enough about Linux to know how to do any installs yet.

Key word there is "should". Reinstalling all the programs plus the data connected with each one could be a real issue. Where I have the other system with only Linus Mint on it with Firefox as the browser I think I will leave it that way. Got the whole system set up complete for $150 and it is a good system. Don't know enough about Linux to know how to do any installs yet.
If 19.3 is working well leave it. Still has LTS till 2023

I have an older Lenovo laptop that i would like to install Linux on. But I am worried that pictures won't transfer so well. What say you?

Thanks, Sheenist

I have a desk top in the basement hooked up that ha Linux Mint and Firefox. Haven't done anything on it for several months. Been long enough now would have to learn all over again. Don't remember now why I got it. I need to figure out how to set Firefox from auto updates to selective. Seems it always updates when I am doing some thing and it shuts the OS down and reboots all on its own. :mad: :mad:

I have a desk top in the basement hooked up that ha Linux Mint and Firefox. Haven't done anything on it for several months. Been long enough now would have to learn all over again. Don't remember now why I got it. I need to figure out how to set Firefox from auto updates to selective. Seems it always updates when I am doing some thing and it shuts the OS down and reboots all on its own. :mad: :mad:
Mine never reboots on a FireFox update. Only operating system updates and it tells me to reboot as soon as possible.

Lot of different setting and places for them that I have no idea about. Have enough trouble reading all the blurry stuff. Dry eye condition they say.

Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
System requirements:
  • 2GB RAM (4GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
  • 20GB of disk space (100GB recommended).
  • 1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).
More Options
Lubuntu
Processor: Pentium II or Celeron
RAM: 128 MB
Storage: 2 GB

Peppermint OS

Processor: Intel x86
RAM: 1 GB
Storage: 20 GB

Really old
Puppy Linux
Processor: 900 MHz
RAM: 300 MB
There are a lot more. Be sure to pay attention to your processor specs as to being 32-bit or 64-bit. You can run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system but not 64-bit on a 32-bit system.
Let us know your laptop system specs and we can help farther.

Back