Tire repair experiment

larrybl

Tractorologist
This isn't a tip yet, but if it works will save a bunch of $$$ and might be an alternate to slime. I haven't heard of anyone trying Flex Seal on a tire before, so I thought I would try this to re-seal the inside of the tire. My situation may be different from yours, but I prefer to plug the holes in tires, but there comes a point of having too many plugs, and eventually they will leak also. New tires are expensive. I picked the worst set of tires to try this on, and will follow up with the results later on.

Instructions says to wait 24 - 48 hours before a second coat. I checked them at around 12:00 which is around 20 hours, and it feels dry and not tacky. I have them in the sun right now. I'll apply the 2nd coat around 4pm today.

Be neat if this works. I have some old weather cracked tires on a minibike that slowly leak. I dont want to replace them as the are original.

I'm feeling like the flex seal will get brittle over time and not take the constant flexing of the tire.

Be neat if this works. I have some old weather cracked tires on a minibike that slowly leak. I dont want to replace them as the are original.

I'm feeling like the flex seal will get brittle over time and not take the constant flexing of the tire.
Old tires on one of my sears tractors were leaking down through the side walls. I painted the inside with contact cement and they held air for a year. I looked a few days ago and they are now down, not flat. Have not had time to check and see why.
Don

It seems this tire experiment with Flex Seal has perked some interest. I got this idea from a Project Farm video a few years ago (Link in the video comment). Went ahead and finished the second coat, and will remove the tires from RED tomorrow and clean the rims and bead area, Hope to have the tires mounted tomorrow.

Old tires on one of my sears tractors were leaking down through the side walls. I painted the inside with contact cement and they held air for a year. I looked a few days ago and they are now down, not flat. Have not had time to check and see why.
Don

Interesting! I've just been airing them up. I keep the bike hanging off the rafter to keep the tires from sitting flat for long periods. It's more of a show piece anyway.

I won't lie, this is not the easiest way to remove tires. It is way easier if you can get a knee on one side and pry on the other. The inside bead was the hardest. Any how, It's done! The rims will NOT come off on this machine.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hope it works, Larry! We have used flex seal at work as a last resort when the city won't spring for fixing stuff right, and have had mostly good results. First thing I would do is cut down the tree that drops thorns though---LOL! The acre to the west has thorn trees I think are called Russian Olive. Many years ago they asked me to mow over there since their mowers both had flat tires. I politely declined. No one lives on that lot now but those trees are still there!

DAC

Thanks, The Flex Seal is an experiment, but if it works it will save me from buying new tires right away. The trees provide shade and cutting them down is not an option. I will also be interested in how well these will accept new plugs when -not if- needed.

I'll be cleaning and inspecting the bead areas on the rims and tires as I do not want leaks in these areas to skew the results in the experiment with using Flex Seal to make the tires re-plugable, hence re-usable. Plugging a tire usually only takes ~ 3 minuets when needed, so mowing can continue without any delays.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 5
I bought a 16 oz can of flex seal liquid rubber for an experiment I haven't gotten to yet. I have welding lead that has deteriorated to the point of being for all intents and purposes bare wire. Takes some careful arranging to use. I intend to use a brush to paint on a few coats of flex seal for insulation. Still in the planning stages. Any other suggestions/Ideas.
Don

I bought a 16 oz can of flex seal liquid rubber for an experiment I haven't gotten to yet. I have welding lead that has deteriorated to the point of being for all intents and purposes bare wire. Takes some careful arranging to use. I intend to use a brush to paint on a few coats of flex seal for insulation. Still in the planning stages. Any other suggestions/Ideas.
Don

Why not just wrap the whole thing in good electrical tape?

We wrap cables at the mine with electrical tape all the time. Stretch it good and wrap over lapping 50% each wrap.

Don
They make tape in a can, probably about the same stuff.

Don
Also, if you were closer, I have an extra set of leads. Large wire and real heavy! I can barely carry both at once!

Back