Today was a good day

MNGB

Tractorologist
First the best good, had the new tow mower out to mow some had so much fun mowing with it I ended up mowing with it for a hour did the area around the shop the grass has slowed so it wasn't that tall but the mower did a nice job and I really enjoy driving the 58 Country Squire, now for the other news front the darn infamous Simplicity installed a new belt after working on the idlers and tension spring made a couple of rounds the belt stayed on but the deck really started sounding bad so I disengaged the deck and went back to the shop looked, was a bit discouraged the new belt looked like it has 50 hours on vs 15 minutes removed the belt to check out the spindles for the bad. reached under the deck and turned the blade it turned easy but while turning it I noticed the the center drive spindle pulley was wobbling I don't don't know it its bent or the top bearing has failed and all the balls are bunched in one side causing the wobble. I'm thinking this is the root cause of all the belt problems, will remove the deck and investagate in a few days

Attachments

• HPIM1561.JPG
    HPIM1561.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 16
every deck has at least one bad bearing... now you found it... might as well change them all, they are cheap and avail at any auto store like Napa or Bumper to Bumper. All Simpletractors used the same spindle setup for many years so they are easy to find... but they rarely need to be replaced.

maybe some debris or rust in the pulleys???

After looking at your pic I noticed no battery. I see some clamps on the rear of your tractor. Are you starting the mower from the tractor battery. I still think I would like one of these. I got a 60” Swisher trail mower from a friend that was repowered with a 12hp Kawasaki that needed some repairs. This has its purpose and I have plenty of space to use it but for me it’s hard to maneuver. I think what you built would be more convenient not to mention the satisfaction of building it. Nice job!

After looking at your pic I noticed no battery. I see some clamps on the rear of your tractor. Are you starting the mower from the tractor battery. I still think I would like one of these. I got a 60” Swisher trail mower from a friend that was repowered with a 12hp Kawasaki that needed some repairs. This has its purpose and I have plenty of space to use it but for me it’s hard to maneuver. I think what you built would be more convenient not to mention the satisfaction of building it. Nice job!
Hi Jim, yes I use the booster cables and the tractor battery for starting one less battery to have and maintain and it works good

I repowered a swisher 44" tow mower some years ago and built a battery box for it, and added a stand alone ignition switch, battery, and solenoid to it, just did the same on a bobcat commercial walk behind within the last month or so. Less hassle factor than having to jump it every time I go to use it.
On the "too many batteries" deal, I do find myself playing "musical batteries" more than I like to but it seems like when I'm gonna use something, I'm gonna use it quite a bit before I put it up.

Took a quick look at the center / drive spindle couldn't get it to move side to side turned it some and I'm thinking the shaft is bent haven't pulled the deck off yet to many other important things to do first :p I did search for spindle bearings last night found I can get a set of 6 for about $46.00 not to bad

Took a quick look at the center / drive spindle couldn't get it to move side to side turned it some and I'm thinking the shaft is bent haven't pulled the deck off yet to many other important things to do first :p I did search for spindle bearings last night found I can get a set of 6 for about $46.00 not to bad
I got so annoyed searching for these bearings last week. I found them from $15. each to $18. for a six pack and some places included shipping. I usually get bearings and seals from Timken but their website now isn’t what it use to be and it’s hard to cross reference. I’m sure most are from China anyway. Where did you buy yours from.

one issue with bearings that Ive come across several times is that the company which made the original bearing is no longer around and most modern books dont cross-ref the defunk companys numbers... so I just go to Bumper to Bumper with the measurements and most of the time they have them in stock... occasionally have to wait one day at most.

I got so annoyed searching for these bearings last week. I found them from $15. each to $18. for a six pack and some places included shipping. I usually get bearings and seals from Timken but their website now isn’t what it use to be and it’s hard to cross reference. I’m sure most are from China anyway. Where did you buy yours from.
I have not bought yet I'm waiting until I get the deck removed and the spindles apart but here's what I found on Amazon (yes I'm sure most a China bearings) these say they are the right Simplicity PN

Back