Tomato Variety

Lily'sDad

GMC, They Said
I decided to switch to "Big Beef" tomatoes. I've heard good things about their disease resistance. I have struggled with Better Boy for years; always succumbing to blight.
Now, I just have to wait for the garden to dry out.

I have 2 green tomatoes on already! Got sprinkler going on the sweet corn patch again. Everything is looking good, but needs natural rain over sprinkling it.

Rhubarb is ready, asparagus is going strong, strawberries look good, and I got 20 morel mushrooms yesterday.

View attachment 13672View attachment 13673
Ruhbarb is ready and have picked some. Asparagus is going to seed now. Have had several batches. New strawberry's this year and are looking good so far. Only way I could find a mushroom is if someone put it on my plate. I quite hunting for them as I could never find any. Waste of time.

Half of the garden washed out or didn't grow. Was to cold and wet. Granddaughter was here so she took the rings off and carried them to the grass edge. Out of 8 plantings we got one cuc plant that is still going. Weeds are sure growing though. Hope it dries enough so I can till and replant before more rain moves in. Rest of the garden is looking real good. 6 tomato plants are standing tall and couple have a bloom on them. Took the plastic rings off most of the plants except the 2 pepper plants as they are small yet. Nice breeze and sunshine today sure helped to dry things up. Don't remember what tomato plants we got for this year except 2 yellow pear plants. Rest are red and yellow I think ? ;) Haven't had a blight problem so far.

I didnt plant anything this year. I always have a grand plan to do a decent garden but something always comes up. This year it was traveling for work and raining every time I had time to do anything.

Up here, we don't plant bedding plants like tomatoes, squash etc until June 1st....risk of frost till then. I planted some beans, spinach, beet seeds a week or so ago. They are just showing.

We only grow heritage varieties, some have some resistance, some not. But we always spray with copper sulfate preemptively to keep blight at bay. There is a website we watch to see when spores are coming up from our southern border, usually mid July they start.

The copper spray works well and is safe.

This year we are growing San Marzano for paste tomatoes, Stupice and early Czech variety and Old Brook another early tomato but acidic which is great for canning.

Back