Toro Rider starves for fule when hot.

steve b

Tractorologist
Hi Folks,
Mowing with my Toro 11-44 mower. When it is hot out it starves for fuel. I can open the hood and look at the clear plastic fuel filter and see it is dry. Plenty of gas in the tank. What I have done. Loosen up gas cap. No difference. Drill larger breather hole in gas cap anyway. No help. Replace fuel filter. No change. Replace all fuel lines. No change. Remove gas tank, clean and reinstall. No change. Here is the best part... I mowed yesterday it was cooler and I got through the yard. Once done I opened the hood, the fuel filter was full of gas. I tapped it with my finger watched 4 tiny bubbles rise to top of filter then all of the gas sucked right back out of the filter towards the tank. So I take the cap off the tank and nothing changes, fuel remains out of the filter. The fuel returns as the machine cools down ( with the cap on the tank ). What am I missing?

There is a wye at the low point of the fuel supply line with a vent tube that goes back to the top of the tank. I do know it is open, and cant see that it would make a difference vacuum wise? I suppose I can plug it and remove the hose to see.

Anybody seen this before? What is the fix?

I know on some of my older stuff the tank is so close to the same level as the carb I have to keep the tank 3/4 full or it does the same as what your describing but all my stuff is gravity feed

There is no fuel pump. It is a gravity fed system. The engine is a Briggs 11.5 horse vertical shaft engine.
Vapor lock would be my guess especially if it's only happening when it's hot.
So what do you do to prevent the vapor lock? Shouldn't removing the fuel cap take care of it?

my case tractor did something goofy like that, with the airfilter off and using my hand to make tight seal it would finaly suck fuel. the float was bad on the carb

Back