Torpedo Heater Cart Build

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
My new heater & I are getting along real good on these cold mornings. One problem is it weighs 32 lbs plus 6 gallon of fuel that's close to 75lbs or more.

I like building things with what I have & mostly just winging it as I go. This started out as an old real estate sign that was 3/4x3/4x1/8 angle iron. It had a few press bent tabs that held the sign. I made a cut, flattened them out, & cut a section out so I could weld them up. I basically made a rectangle frame with them so the tank area could just sit inside.
20190202_165842.jpg20190202_174808.jpg
I used 1/2" round bar stock for the handle, heated & bent that. I had a scrap piece of 6x6x1/4 angle iron that I cut two pieces for the axle brackets. I always start out drilling smaller holes first then the 5/8" hole. I used a 1/2" burring bit to enlarge the hole for the axle. One of these days I'll break down & buy a 64th over bit for 1/2", 5/8" & 3/4" holes. I used 5/8" round bar stock for the axle & I cut two small pieces of 1/2" plastic conduit for wheel spacers.
20190206_163039.jpg20190206_173125.jpg
I debated whether or not to bend the fixed leg or just cut three pieces & weld, I chose to cut & weld.
20190207_184849.jpg
I took the wheels apart & painted to match the heater. No I didnt buy special paint for this. Its actually the same color I painted my MTD990, Charcol Gray.
20190208_135915.jpg
I painted the frame gloss black. I've been having trouble with Rustoleum rattle cans lately. I never was a fan of Valspar but I seen some extra large cans that were rust resistant back in the summer on sale. It covered well dryed to touch in less than 10 minutes. So far I like it.
20190209_145430.jpg20190209_145442.jpg
I already had all the metal & wheels. I bought these wheels back in the summer for my forge I built so I'll have to replace them. These are very nice project wheels & tires from HF for around $4. each.

The heater just sits in it for now. Even though it fits well & I'm sure the weight will hold it in place I'm going to add a couple of brackets that I can fasten & un fasten to make sure it stays put. I also think the axle is too long. The wheels are too far away from the heater. I think I could cut about an inch off each side & still be good. It moves around great, the balance feels good & I'm very happy with it. If anyone builds one of these take note which end your fuel cap is on so that will be the end you raise. The caps are vented so fuel will leak out if you raise the opposite end. Thanks for looking!
20190209_163441.jpg20190209_162742.jpg

Looks good Jim! I remember back in the day wheels and a pull handle actually came with these things! I've never used a Mr. Heater brand portable heater but I sure like the Mr. Heater shop furnace I installed a little over a year ago.

DAC
new shop furnace Jan. 2018 008.jpg

You did a fine job on it!! looks professional and fully functional. In the warm months you can lift it off the cart, park it in an out of the way spot and hang the cart on the wall to save some floor space.
Mike

Very nice!
I still might put an "A
Looks good Jim! I remember back in the day wheels and a pull handle actually came with these things! I've never used a Mr. Heater brand portable heater but I sure like the Mr. Heater shop furnace I installed a little over a year ago.

DAC
View attachment 10529
The next upgrade on this model had the wheel package but it was too many btu's & too much more many. Is your shop heater natural gas or propane. I was considering one like yours but I would have to go propane. Once I get insulated good I might still go your route.

I still might put a "Aaron bar on the front" lol.

Ha I remember Aaron getting a bit close to one---LOL!

That furnace is gas. My old furnace was gas. It was a floor mount house type though. I hung a ceiling in the shop after the new furnace project so that has been helpful too. Need to do more with the walls though. They only have 3/4" thermax.

DAC

Back