Tractor Supply Bolts

bbuckler

Tractorologist
I been using grade 8 bolts for small engine cylinder head for years from there but someone is telling me it not a good idea I have rebuild several engine using their bolts. What yall thought on this.

A tightened bolt behaves a little bit like a spring. A higher grade bolt at the same torque is going to be less springy. This is probably where their concern comes from. I suspect though that a head gasket has enough springiness that the grade of the bolt is probably irrelevant.

You are wasting money on bolts though.....

A tightened bolt behaves a little bit like a spring. A higher grade bolt at the same torque is going to be less springy. This is probably where their concern comes from. I suspect though that a head gasket has enough springiness that the grade of the bolt is probably irrelevant.

You are wasting money on bolts though.....
They was thinking grade 2 bolts which wouldn't torque to spec without breaking. I rather replace a rusty head bolt then risk breaking off with torquing

What are you torquing them 2 and what size?

Grade 2 half inch is like 40lbs. Grade 8 is like 80lbs. Recommend torque.

I always just use a 3/8" wrench and snug them and just a small pull on the ratchet. I always figured I'm putting a cylinder head on a small engine not building a rocket.

I've used a lot of different bolts for replacements as long as they were the right length.

Last edited:
I think Kohler headbolts are Grade 5. I have 2 on the bench, (1 ea K321, 341) with what I think are their original head bolts, I'll look after work.
Probably are grade 5 but for some reason a few sites recommend grade 8s

Back