Tractor tarps

MFDAC

Tractorologist
3 weeks ago I went and bought a 10-1/2' x 36' billboard tarp from a local outdoor advertiser. Then got sick for almost 2 weeks before I considered even working on it. Plan is to cut it into 3-12' long sections to build tarps to cover 3 tractors that are sitting outside. I got it spread out on the shop floor enough tonight after work to cut one 12' section off. Then spread it back out and one more cut at 12' should get what I want. I'll put some grommets in them to have a place to hook bungee cords. Got some stickers to cut for a customer so will be bouncing back and forth on the jobs tomorrow!

DAC

DSCN3852.JPG DSCN3853.JPG

In this area the bill boards are done wall paper style with 3-4' wide strips. Pasted on some how, only seen them putting them on while I was driving by. Make sure you putting something with those tractors to keep the mice away. They ;love those dark areas to build their homes in. I leave the hoods up on all my tractors inside. Windows in the machine shed leave enough light in they don't bother building on top of the engine where the wires aare.

I need to do this I’m so tired of buying junk tarps that only last for a year or so. I used to put moth balls around my tractors and on top of the engine to keep mice away. It worked good but I was worried the chickens would grab one. Now I use dryer sheets, tuck a few in and around the engine and wiring areas before covering.

I bought some. They are pretty tough and last better then the poly tarps. They didn't cost as much as the poly tarps, but the shipping was a bit much so I bought a few more than I planned on. I have used them all and glad I got them. They are heavy duty. I Can't remember the exact prices, but pretty good for what I got.

I have one of those quansent type pipe frame buildings with the heavy canvas type covering. After the seconnd one got tore up O had a portable welder friend stop by and we welded all the joints together. It was 8' X 20'. Used 21' used steel and run it lengthwise on the sides and closed in one end and made 2 doors on the other. Has worked out good for about 10 years now.

They say those are really tough tarps. Are they, and what do they cost?
Yeah Daniel, they are tough, much better than those blue ones. They survive the gale force winds we have around here just fine. This 10-1/2' X 36' cost me 40 bucks cash. Odds are there is an outdoor advertiser in your area that may sell the used ones out the back door like this place does. The outfit that Hamman spoke of is where I checked first. 50 bucks just for the shipping when I checked into the company advertising on FB. I think the total for a similar size that I got locally was about $125 shipped. Driving into town one day a few weeks ago, I saw one of their billboards advertising used billboard tarps! Gave them a call and picked one up! Same specs as the ones Don spoke of.

DAC

In this area the bill boards are done wall paper style with 3-4' wide strips. Pasted on some how, only seen them putting them on while I was driving by. Make sure you putting something with those tractors to keep the mice away. They ;love those dark areas to build their homes in. I leave the hoods up on all my tractors inside. Windows in the machine shed leave enough light in they don't bother building on top of the engine where the wires aare.
Wow, Roger! Poster type billboards! That style went away around here in the early 1990's---LOL! That is early 20th century technology in the outdoor advertising business!

Hand painted on location was also very common up into the mid 1990's. I hand painted hundreds of billboards out along highways in the country and city when I was in that business for 30 years!

DAC

Wow, Roger! Poster type billboards! That style went away around here in the early 1990's---LOL! That is early 20th century technology in the outdoor advertising business!

Hand painted on location was also very common up into the mid 1990's. I hand painted hundreds of billboards out along highways in the country and city when I was in that business for 30 years!

DAC
Those narrow strips are a lot easier and quicker to put up in a wind than a big tarp would be. I would not want to be one of the guys trying to hold a 10 X 30' tarp 30' in the air in a 20 mph wind. Bill boards are leased for short periods of time so why go to the time consuming expense of hand painting them?

Back