Trailer fix up.

Propane1

Tractorologist
This trailer of mine is about 13 years old or so. Noticed the floorboard starting to go two years ago. Was gunna replace them last year. But oh no, hurricane Fiona decides to make me do wood clean up all last spring, summer and fall. So doing the floorboard fix up this year.
So getting it done, got 5 boards in now today. Long old process. I did put two coats of preservative on the boards last week. All the metal where the board lay on the trailer is getting undercoated and all drilled holes are getting lubed.
Was gunna paint it too this year. But but. To many things to do. So next year will be paint. Couple of pictures. I’ll try to get more as I go along.

Noel

Attachments

• IMG_8574.png
    IMG_8574.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8575.png
    IMG_8575.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Nice trailer, Noel! Been quite a while since you posted a project it seems. Lot of work but it will pay off.

One of these days I need to get my trailer out of the back yard and put it in front of the shop to figure out how to haul pea gravel on it. Either it's been raining or the wind blowing so hard I don't want to be in it. Should build a mount for the spare tire too. It's a plywood bed so pretty ugly compared to plank beds.

DAC

Are you using new wood. My trailer has a single axle with a 5x10 bed. It’s an old boat trailer that I converted to a utility trailer. It’s about 46 years old that has had four beds on it. I found that used lumber works best especially if you need the boards to remain tight for hauling dirt, sand, and so on. Didn’t you mention coating them in used motor oil, that’s a good idea especially underneath.

Noel it’s been awhile since you posted a project looking forward to your progress. I’m already being inspired mine needs a new spindle on one side.

Yes Jim. Two coat of special wood preservative in the wood. Wood is new.
Hoping it does not shrink to much. Once done I’ll put another coat on it.

Things not going good today. So far at this time, one board in place, 3 floorboard screws in, 3 broken drill bits and one frustrated cousin. Air was blue, as my uncle use to say. And this was 2 hour cession. So cousin went home annoyed and I’ll see what can do this afternoon.

Noel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 4
I've re decked a few trailers over the years and always stacked them tight, started from both sides towards the middle, and ripped the last board to exactly the right width on the table saw to where I had to tap it in with a hammer while others say to purposely gap the boards by sticking either an 8 penny nail or a 1/4" bolt down between the boards to keep the gapping even throughout. I've had trailer floors not last very long, have used pine, oak, at different times, doesn't matter.
The last (current ) deck is some species that started with an "H" but not hickory. Hemlock maybe? Not sure. I went to a local guy with his own sawmill that I was introduced to and recommended by many others to get wood for "special" projects like this. He said "this would be the last time I'd ever have to put new wood on this trailer". I had enough for a few extra/spare planks and I've used em up a board here and there at a time.

I linseed oil coat the snot out of the new boards as I put them on, I'm about to have to put the 3rd deck on my trailer since built in 2010. My trailer decks warp, crack and fall apart after a few years. I have a pile of rough sawn oak in my garage for the next go round and I m gonna try and gap them this time and see if it lasts longer.
I can lay down a tarp I guess if I have to haul something that im not wanting to fall down thru the cracks which hasn't been often
I use true dimension rough sawn lumber not "nominal" lumber yard sized wood.
At work we have a 10-12 ton trailer that was new in 2018, came with an oak deck, solid rough sawn 2" oak deck. Over the past winter the guys re decked it with more solid oak as the original one was beyond shot. I know they linseed oiled it originally when new (they happened to need this trailer 2 days later and almost lost the bobcat off the side trying to load because it was still so slick, shortly later they screwed expanded metal to it for traction) and they linseed oiled the new boards before they screwed them down... Seems like ~6 years around here is about the max life out of a trailer deck no matter the material or the attempted protection to try and preserve it longer... I admit to not recoating mine every year but I get around to it, probably about midway thru the life I get out of my deck boards...

So a little better success this afternoon on putting screws in. Four boards left to go. I’ll tell the cousin to stay home tomorrow and I’ll do what I can.

Noel

Attachments

• IMG_8580.jpeg
    IMG_8580.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8581.jpeg
    IMG_8581.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8582.jpeg
    IMG_8582.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 5
My longest lasting trailer deck were some PT 2x6’s. I salvaged them from a deck I had to demo to build a new one. These were the framing boards. I cut a rabbit on each edge of each board so when they were put together they would interlock. I soaked the bottom with old motor oil but never put anything on the top. It’s been around 14 years now.

I was always under the impression not to seal a bord off on all sides if it going to be out in the weather. Was told that at an Iowa Paint seminar where the State bought all their picnic table paint. OK to paint the ends side and top surface but not the bottom as the moisture has to have a place to escape. Moisture will get into the boards. Moisture is what causes the boards to rot in the first place. JMO

Yes Jim. Two coat of special wood preservative in the wood. Wood is new.
Hoping it does not shrink to much. Once done I’ll put another coat on it.

Things not going good today. So far at this time, one board in place, 3 floorboard screws in, 3 broken drill bits and one frustrated cousin. Air was blue, as my uncle use to say. And this was 2 hour cession. So cousin went home annoyed and I’ll see what can do this afternoon.

Noel
Sure hope your cousin comes back with an approved attitude.:)

Ok, I see where you are making him stay at home.

Back