Tried Sweet Potatoes 1st Time

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
Even though four plants covered about a 16x24 area we got a little over five pounds. I never seen anything like it the vines were all rooted back into the ground. I've been told to cut them back, put them on a trellis & just let them go. I also didn't hill them very high either. It was a trial & error thing.

With the encouragement on here I'm going to plant all potatoes in another wide open area outside of the garden.

My wife fixed some candied this morning with biscuits, sausage gravy, & tomatoes. My gosh were they good. I can't remember for sure but I believe they were called beauragards. The plate was my second, I had to cut back a little.20180919_172842.jpg20180923_122053.jpg

Nice crop for first time. I'm sure you'll get some pointers.
I don't grow them but I slice them up like fries and roll in olive oil and spices then oven bake till they caramelize some. Leave the leftovers on the island and they get picked away over the evening. :thumbs:

I make a high row of dirt and plant the plants about 12" apart. Keep the vines cut back so the plant energy goes into the tubers and not vines. Will put some in again next year. Have a few left frozen from last year so didn't plant any.

Back