tubes or tubeless

jabelman

Tractorologist
I just bought the HF mini tire changer I have a bunch of front rims on various tractors that need changed. every time I took small tires to the shop the guy always tells me I am wasting my money by adding tubes. nothing I run has fluid, he tells it's easier to plug a tubeless than patch a tube.

just curious what you guys do?

I've had rims that looked brand new. Tires were dry rotted off. Get the old tires off and the bead area if the rim looks like the moon. Those get tubes....

If it looks good I throw some best sealer on it and mount em up.

As long as they haven't been using a bunch of sealer inside the tire! That stuff will eat a wheel up pretty bad over time!

Never heard of the tire sealer (Slime?) eating the rims. About all the farmers, etc. around here run it in their quads and side by sides due to the Locust thorns and have for years. Calcium Chloride will but I doubt they would be selling the sealer if it reacted to the steel rims.

Never heard of the tire sealer (Slime?) eating the rims. About all the farmers, etc. around here run it in their quads and side by sides due to the Locust thorns and have for years. Calcium Chloride will but I doubt they would be selling the sealer if it reacted to the steel rims.
It's Slime or similar product. Has a fine layer of a paper type goo all over the wheels. Some I have taken apart still had a green tint in it. Wheels were super rusty inside. Very pitted! I have a couple wheels I can take pics of that had this goo in them!

Lots of tires have a lot of life in them, but either the bead or sidewalls have dried out till they leak, so a tube will get years more service out of them. But when I can, I go tubeless.
The rears on my Sears 18/6 leaked from multiple side wall cracks and I wanted to keep the wheels off the ground. So for a quick cheep fix I cleaned the inside of the tires with carb cleaner and painted them with contact cement. This tractor is not in use, gets started and driven to keep the oil circulated. The tires were coated on the inside about a month and a half ago and have required no additional air. I have no idea how this fix would fair on a tractor that was in use. Don

Lot of bead leaks caused by rust is fixed with slime. I have done it myself. Push the bead down but don't break it clear loose. Use an acid bruds to work the slime down between the tire and rim. Air it up good and let it sit a while. Wash it off.

Will Slime damage my rims?
If pre-existing damage is present, we do not recommend using Slime. Do not leave Slime inside your tires for more than 2 years. After that time, we cannot guarantee the integrity of your rims. Slime’s Emergency Tire Sealant formula is intended to be used as a temporary emergency repair in passenger vehicles.

That is directly from tire slime's website. Sounds to me like it's their way of saying our product may damage your rims if left in long term.

I've never been a fan of any of the tire sealants. Have I used them? Yeah...but its been an emergency situation on a car. I've never slimed a tractor tire, 4 wheeler or the like. Lucky enough my buddy has a tire shop right down the road from me, so I just take it off, break the bead on his machine, pop the tire off and either throw a good tire on(or skip all that and plug it usually they are dry rot cracked) or clean everything up and tube it.

That is directly from tire slime's website. Sounds to me like it's their way of saying our product may damage your rims if left in long term.

I've never been a fan of any of the tire sealants. Have I used them? Yeah...but its been an emergency situation on a car. I've never slimed a tractor tire, 4 wheeler or the like. Lucky enough my buddy has a tire shop right down the road from me, so I just take it off, break the bead on his machine, pop the tire off and either throw a good tire on(or skip all that and plug it usually they are dry rot cracked) or clean everything up and tube it.
Sounds like a lawyer instigated disclaimer. If some one gets in an accident and tries to blame it on slime they can say we told you so. Don

Tubeless here, no slime, only plugs used when I get a mesquite thorn. What makes a difference is 4-ply vs. 2-ply. Never had an issue with the catcus.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 4
Here's a couple pics of wheels I have taken tires off that had a green liquid & the paper looking substance tucks to everything. Had to use a scrub brush inside the tires to put tubes in them.
DSCN4239.JPG DSCN4240.JPG

These may have had Slime in them for quite some time before I got them!

Back