Variety in the antique / vintage garden tractor hobby.

Rustyoldjunk

Rustologist/Punishment Glutton
How many of you are brand loyal to one brand or maybe two ?
How many of you just enjoy antique / vintage garden tractors in general and will drag in any brand / model that you find interesting ?
How many of you only keep a few around and how many of you have rows of tractors ?

Attachments

• 20191107_132011.jpg
    20191107_132011.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20191107_132031.jpg
    20191107_132031.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 21
Hehe. I like the big three, Ford, Massey Ferguson and John Deere. Not allways in that order. Hehe. But really, I like the farm tractor brands. I would like to have an Allis Chalmers, Case, White Yard Boss, and a cub cadet, international made.

Noel

Attachments

• AB8D6D35-F9E4-4A40-BC2B-CC108C9E7A86.jpeg
    AB8D6D35-F9E4-4A40-BC2B-CC108C9E7A86.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 11
I mainly collect JD's (got 9), but having worked on and driven my uncles WH GT14, its grown on me. I find it's one of the easiest steering gt's without power steering. Been thinking about getting a Massey, just haven't come across one yet. I also been thinking about a Case, but they are a bit rare in my area.

Not brand loyal here as I have restored several MTD's, Wards, Ford LGT 145, JD 165 Hydro, Roper 20T, Craftsman's, Craftsman II's, and currently working on a Craftsman Pro. Sorta what becomes available (at a price) in my area. I am sorta Sears specific right now.

No brand in particular. I bought my 1981 Speedex 1631 because I had never seen one before and it looked like a very capable machine. I like the way it had higher ground clearance, liked the belly mower (but I have no use for it), and really liked the 3-point tool bar with the plough, cultivators, and discs.
The 1966 Cub Cadet 123 was bought because it came with a rear tiller and a mower deck. I don't use the deck, but it functions nicely.
The Wheel Horse C160 has been mine for a year now. I got it because of it's reputation and the fact that it came with a mower deck, a McKissick chipper/shredder, a tiller, cultivators, and an aerator.
I have a 2009 Craftsman PGT9000 that I use for mowing because it had a 54" deck.

All have served me well, and I like each one for different reasons. I really like the older ones because they are built like TANKS.

Last edited:
Couple different brands but mainly Bolens, small, tube, medium frame and a QT series. Also a White 1655 with 3 point, IH built 1650, 1016 Cub Cadet. Just kind of depends what shows up when the $$ is available and it sparks an interest. Try to stay away for the green ones for several reasons though I have owned a couple different styles.

I collected an era of the odd ball garden tractors from 1958 to 1964, panzers, david bradley, porter cable, bolens ride a matic, wheelhorse, gemco etc...
built up a nice mix of tractors. I no longer buy or take in anymore tractors, I have enough to keep me busy. actually been considering selling them all off at some point.

i was brand loyal when the affliction started but as time progressed it became worse. First it was wheelhorse got up to 20 or so and tried to
get better so i sold a few.
Then it came back hard, anything pre 1960 and it had to sorta rare. Bantam, Mayrath, DUALL, Red E, Craftsman RT, Gibson, Pond lever steer, Copar. When that didnt take care of it, i went older yet, Mogul, Hercules, FM, IH.
I think I might be getting better now or just running out of room, seems i haven't had the urge to buy anything in almost a year.
But ya never know, i do like steam.

I enjoy all types of older GT's and walk behinds.
With that said, I am also a creature of habit. My first couple GTs were Sears Suburbans, I learned them and got comfortable with them so I guess now I am more brand loyal to them. I also have a few MF, and an old AC HB212, I've had in the past WH, Speedex, JD. I've worked on a few JD and frankly don't like them at all. I will be downsizing some of my collection this spring, I'll be left with all my Sears, my AC and MF1855, plan to get rid of everything else.

Seems like most of us probably aren't stuck on one brand. It's more about having and using vintage little tractors. We all have favorite brands or models but most of us won't kick other brands out of the shed.
Although if you look at other sites it is amazing how many will only have anything to do with just one brand. Not saying either way is wrong.
Just observating.

I dig old machines no matter what it is. I'm brand loyal to Massey Ferguson by accident. I needed to have a couple tractors to do chores and that's what turned up by chance! It wasn't until 2011 when I got the MF12G that I found out that people actually collect and restore these things!

DAC

Last edited:
Back