Vh4d wisconsin spark issues

adamjd200

Tractorologist
Dealing with a Wisconsin vh4d that only has spark on 2 cylinders, new cap and rotor(distributor, not magneto) no difference, help!

Check to be sure the points are opening on all 4 lobes on the distributor cam. Ohmmeter works best attached to the wire from the coil with it disconnected from the coil.
That's what we're thinking is the issue, we're contemplating converting it to an electronic ignition as this engine is in a skid loader that gets used every day, easier and simpler, but I'm gonna give what you said a try just to confirm.

Shaft about had to be in an engine that blew some time. New one on me.
This engine was rebuilt by the previous owners, BUT...this problem only made itself known in the last two months, mainly after the local bobcat dealer installed a new hydraulic pump, not sure if that's what caused it though.

I've never heard of a bent distributor shaft. Wonder how the heck that happened??
I actually bent the shaft in a distributor and it was quite easy to do. Plymouth 318 V-8. Installing new points, cond. and distributor cap. Laid the cap to the side and turned the engine over to check the dwell. The rotor caught the cap and pulled it between the distributor and the firewall. None of the plastic parts broke but the shaft bent. Fortunately it didn't take much effort to bend it back and it ran fine. Lesson learned, never turn over an engine with the rotor installed.

Back